love or hate it, Kona Kila-Honzo update 04/04/24 shiny stuff added!

@al-onestare the SQ labs inner bar ends, yes, weird, i get on with the rep, he suggested a set a while ago, here's the logic, we used to run bar ends, usually only on narrow flat bars, we used them because the helped with climbing but also sometimes a slightly aero position, bear in mind these bars are 780mm wide it means this inner bar end is pretty much in the same position as a traditional bar end on a narrower bar, they are shaped as well and sort of feel like the hood position on a road/gravel bike. i wouldn't have them on all my bikes but this being built a little more XC i think thye work.

@coomber i have them on the Kila-Honzo, P7, Alpine6, Stage Evo and my Phase, i think they are good, the best way can describe my opinion on them is that when i ride a bike without them i notice it,

out of choice i wouldn't run any Sram componentry ever, i think it's a terrible product, promises a lot, and never delivers, terrible material, prone to failing, and wears out very quickly, but i don't want to get in to a sram V shimano boring converstaion, i hate the stuff it's that simple.

Ah, how things change in 2 years. :p

i originally built the bike with shimano 12 speed but i just wasn't happy with the shifting, i'd set up a customer on AXS, something i wasn't fussed about at all, i generally have a low opinion of Sram but i thought i'd give it a try, to be fair the shift is really good and i like the lack of cable, i'm probably gonna fit a wireless post to tidy it up more

Lovely bike, how is the finish on the cranks holding up?
AXS Reverb is a thing of loveliness. Soooooo expensive but less than e-wings.

@clubby yes, i was as disapointed with myself as my sram loving friends were laughing! i think the shimano Di2 would have been fine but i think that shimano should be wireless soon, i'd use that over Sram but while it still has wores i'll avoid it.

also i have an AXS dropper on my Stage Evo and it's great, but i'll fit a Magura post on this one as it'll match the Magura brakes, i have an old one on my P7 and that's been great.

so the last 2 weekends i have ridden the KilaHonzo, i'd made some changes, i fitted the magura dropper post, obvs it's wireless so nice and neat, decided also to try an ergon saddle, the main rides i do on this bike are in the New Forest, not particularly techy trails so i find myself sat alot, there aren't many sections where you get out of the saddle so i find myself getting a bit numb after a while, years ago i could ride 4 hours on those carbon flight saddles, more recently i have found SDG saddles to be generally good but on the rides where you sit 95% of the time i find i need more padding, i tried 2 different SQ-Lab saddles, they definitely helped but still getting a numb bum so i have fitted the Ergon saddle and i have to say there was an instant noticeable benefit so we'll see how that goes. the other thing i changed was the bar and stem, the burgtec stem was too short and i wanted the bike to be a bit higher at the front so i fitted a 50mm USE ultimate stem and matching USE ultimate carbon bar, have to say it feels nice.

there is a wheel change coming soon, only because i'm getting a promotional set of wheels for me to show off at the shop, but i think they'll be pretty cool when fitted, also i wanted a change from Hope, no negative reason againset Hope it's just literally all my bikes have Hope wheels so i fancied a change.

the new stem set up, and yes that's a Granite tool down the steerer.
khu3.jpg

next is the bar set up, very neat with only brake hoses
khu4.jpg

the Magura dropper lever, feels more traditional than theit original one that i have on my P7 but works great
khu1.jpg

the dropper post and Ergon saddle
khu2.jpg

complete pic, not the best angle
khu5.jpg

I never used to be fussy on seats but got a sdg bel air mk3 and it's noticeably more comfy than the maddison flux/fabric scoops I usually have.

Bike looks neat as always fella

wasn't expecting new wheels today but they came in so i couldn't resist putting them, straight in!

i have liked Industry Nine wheels for a while, i usually run Hope wheels, but i fancied a change! they appeal to the magpie in me that likes all things bling! these are a custom set, silver hydra hubs, mix of black/silver and orange spokes on the alloy rim, not fussed about the carbon version. have fitted Pirelli tyres to these as i wanted a more aggressive tyre than the Maxxis Forecaster/Ardent pair that i had on the Hope wheels.

any behold the bling!! ;)

honz1.jpg

honz2.jpg

honz3.jpg

honz4.jpg

honz5.jpg

honz6.jpg
honz7.jpg

Back