Look Mi90 quad butted - original - Full Campag £799

ibbz":1gnhp75m said:
sinnerman":1gnhp75m said:
buy it for the bits and ditch the frame, 300 to 400
You don’t think the frame’s worth any time?

its nice enough tig welded frame. but a lot of them out there, and for around 50 quid each, i may even have one somewhere, the forks still make strong enough money.

But given the campag is complete and in nice condition with matching wheels, you could hang it all on something hand built and fillet brazed that's in need of parts to complete, a nice way to build something really special and without the premium if done carefully.

sinnerman":3tfbjotk said:
ibbz":3tfbjotk said:
sinnerman":3tfbjotk said:
buy it for the bits and ditch the frame, 300 to 400
You don’t think the frame’s worth any time?

its nice enough tig welded frame. but a lot of them out there, and for around 50 quid each, i may even have one somewhere, the forks still make strong enough money.

But given the campag is complete and in nice condition with matching wheels, you could hang it all on something hand built and fillet brazed that's in need of parts to complete, a nice way to build something really special and without the premium if done carefully.
Thanks that’s very interesting - I assumed this was a hand built frame. I totally understand what you mean. Making me reconsider as I have a wanted ad for a steel Mi80/90 and have been offered a carbon Mi90 - allegedly the same frame supplied to Raleigh for John Tomac - here’s one on eBay here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265023537354
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265023537354

Now of a sudden after reading your reply and seeing the sense and facts in it - I’m reconsidering my options...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

not wanting to take anything away from them, they were certainly heavily reduced when on sale here in the Uk, although that's not a bearing on the quality of it, hand built when was thinking more mass produced i guess. You will often see Mi90s rebuilt with a mish mash of different components and frame on there own for sale. Even then you could buy the bike for less than the groupset on its own. Ill dig out an advert for you.

What size frame did you need...?

Re: Re:

sinnerman":3o3z03zl said:
not wanting to take anything away from them, they were certainly heavily reduced when on sale here in the Uk, although that's not a bearing on the quality of it, hand built when was thinking more mass produced i guess. You will often see Mi90s rebuilt with a mish mash of different components and frame on there own for sale. Even then you could buy the bike for less than the groupset on its own. Ill dig out an advert for you.

Totally understand - but I’d like to thank you for your previous message as it had a profound effect on me. You see, I’ve totally neglected the difference between dedication taken to building a frame and instead have been focussed on looks, material, race or heritage pedigree and weight - rather than the art. After pondering since then the penny sort of dropped - Why not get something special ? Just one look at the welds on a brazed frame compared to a tig welded one - was enough to give me that eureka moment. So I’ve changed tack somewhat - sure I’d still like one of these (or the white Mi80) for their own sake - for a build I had in mind - and also the carbon for its own sake - but I wouldn’t want to spend much money on them - there’s a Roberts White Spider on eBay - needs some work and a re spray - but I’d rather spend good coin on something like that. So thanks again. I was on the lookout for a S and M size. Up to 18” preferably frame and forks in these

ibbz":32fjbbeb said:
sinnerman":32fjbbeb said:

Totally understand - but I’d like to thank you for your previous message as it had a profound effect on me. You see, I’ve totally neglected the difference between dedication taken to building a frame and instead have been focussed on looks, material, race or heritage pedigree and weight - rather than the art. After pondering since then the penny sort of dropped - Why not get something special ? Just one look at the welds on a brazed frame compared to a tig welded one - was enough to give me that eureka moment. So I’ve changed tack somewhat - sure I’d still like one of these (or the white Mi80) for their own sake - for a build I had in mind - and also the carbon for its own sake - but I wouldn’t want to spend much money on them - there’s a Roberts White Spider on eBay - needs some work and a re spray - but I’d rather spend good coin on something like that. So thanks again. I was on the lookout for a S and M size. Up to 18” preferably frame and forks in these

When i get five minutes tomorrow ill dig the one i have out of the shed, im sure the forks are with it, but i cant remember the size. You could perhaps keep an eye out for a tatty cheapy with period XT or something, fettle it and use it for the MI90 if the frame were to fit, and you have achieved the goal for shilling and pence rather than big money, leaving the real spend for something you never thought possible, or accumulate the Campag over time for the Mi90 and still realise the dream for a more affordable sum.

Re:

Didn't Easton have something to do with the supply/manufacture of the Carbon version, which they did for other brand names too...? it was all so long ago. :oops:

sinnerman":2d1gh8rk said:
Didn't Easton have something to do with the supply/manufacture of the Carbon version, which they did for other brand names too...? it was all so long ago. :oops:
Yes It's Easton C9 tubing, same tubing as the Yeti race bikes.
Look, Raleigh and Peugeot used the same frame - hence the same one supplied to John Tomac.
Correct me if I’m wrong anyone .
And appreciate the help!
I saw this on eBay and thought I’d ask you what you think.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353136616280

For £150 I think frame and forks - I’ve messaged him to make sure.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ibbz":3i2w5fvl said:
sinnerman":3i2w5fvl said:
Look, Raleigh and Peugeot used the same frame - hence the same one supplied to John Tomac.
And appreciate the help!

I like that frame (too small for me) but it's been up for sale for years, so either they are not budging on price or haven't had many offers. I'd certainly test their resove with some lower offers before shelling out close to the £150 unless it is just right for you.

kingoffootball":1xg628t6 said:
ibbz":1xg628t6 said:
sinnerman":1xg628t6 said:
And appreciate the help!

I like that frame (too small for me) but it's been up for sale for years, so either they are not budging on price or haven't had many offers. I'd certainly test their resove with some lower offers before shelling out close to the £150 unless it is just right for you.
I’m 5’7” so I guess it may be good. My only issue is getting it to London from there.
Wanted your opinion on it - I’m not sure about the colour and it has a 1” headset which I guess is pretty much normal - I could try some low balls and see if he accepts.

ibbz":2ce7nr5p said:
sinnerman":2ce7nr5p said:
And appreciate the help!

Cool, but dont buy it if the one i have fits, you can save 150 sheets for your next project if it does.

I'm probably wrong and happy to be stood corrected. but i thought the Raleigh Tomac rode was made by Merlin using the easton e9 carbon tube, with Litespeed making one version for him too...?

Yeti, was FTW fabricating using the full carbon tube too supplied by Easton.? Where as the Look, Peugeot-Later Grisley, and lower end Raleighs, et al, shared the same frame as the Reflex which was the brand name for Easton's own in house fabrications at the time....? An alloy tube with a carbon sleeve/wrap C9, bar on the flagships which for some of the brands had a full carbon seattube e9....?

I cant be sure now.

Semantics anyway i guess.

Back