Wanted Lightweight chainset options

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
I’m looking to put an Alpinestars cro mega on a diet and am considering chainsets.

I’ve got a tasty ti 113mm BB in the stash; what light chainsets would match? (Other non 113 suggestions also considered.)

Middleburn? White Industries? Race face? How does M737 stack up?

cheers

Yep, it’s a ‘92 - loving it. But eyeballing the front mech to trim when looking down Is tricky! & I’ll measure twice on the chainline: the current 122mm/M730 combo changes fine without snagging, but a narrower BB would need to be offset by the crank.

@hamster, I usually use 80s stuff with wide 120plus BBs; I need to do some research on weight listings, but do you know if there is a significant difference between stuff like LX, M737 and boutique brands? (I want light and strong, but not fussed for bling unless it’s going to earn its keep.)

I think the big producers erred on the side of caution and also forged their cranks. Sugino Mighty 900 is about the lightest. You can go to Toplines etc. but the weight saving was enough to tip them into fatigue failure.
I recently bought some M737, IIRC the 170mm set was 430g bare. M563 was actually about 10-20g lighter! The bigger weight saving was in the bottom bracket as it has a steel shaft - going hollow (UN7x) is well worth it, moreso with a boutique one such as Royce. But spendy.

Race Face will be fine,
most these mentioned use 107 bottom bracket and 113 as the 50mm chainline. So should be good.

Most are also made by Sugino ;-)

Some ideas for you
XC Comp MD524
XC Pro MD454
M563466
M737 CD468
Syncros Rev476
WI Forged CD467
RaceFace LP CD (2000s style)428
Race Face LP 110450

Not saying all of them will use 113, suntour doesn't, it a 115 iirc.

Back