Let me introduce myself...

Conde Pyruslav

Dirt Disciple
Hi everybody!

I would like to introduce myself to this community. I am a Spaniard living in "the country formerly know as Burma", or in other words Union of Myanmar and family based in between Asia, Europe and America. I started in mountain biking by 1989, following my father once I was tall enough to ride a proper mountain bike, in the Northern Spanish region of Asturias, famous for its evergreen landscape (thanks to almost-permanent rain), high mountains, mud, steep tracks that you can choose to take uphill or downhill... I was riding every weekend, and eventually I started to take the bike to school, so I was able to ride in the afternoon after classes were finished.

I gave a lot between 1990 and 1997, then the passion started to drop as I was getting older... and getting Internet access. It came to a full stop by 1999. But the mood came back in 2010 and, while residing in Laos, I took a plane to Bangkok and came back home with a Trek 6500 which, in my opinion, is a pretty decent bike. Sorry, I forgot a couple of weeks in which I borrowed another Trek (full suspension, unable to remember model) in 2009...

And now, the moment in which I have the monetary means to claim back my unicorns, I find myself living in this amazing country... that nobody wants to deal commercially with. Shame for PayPal! They cancelled my account because I live here, and I made the mistake of telling them.

Anyhow, my bike history. Pictures do not reflect the actual bikes:

- 1987 Orbea Furia, old BMX bike that I converted into kind of MTB with a flat 3TTT bar and Shimano brake levers...

- 1989 Marin Muirwoods in beautiful odd-white colour with pink/purple/blue splatter, impossible to find a picture! This is the one, but different colour...

my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133_242.jpg

- 1992 Trek 970 blue, so good! Why did I sell it??? (well, it was too tiny for me...) I fitted it with a wonderful USE titanium seatpost and a Flite seat, so nice! I used to use it with Shimano road pedals, those white and purple, it was my "Tomac road/MTB moment"...

Trek970%252092.jpg

By that time, my dad had had a very "posh" Peugeot Alpine Express with fluo pink details, very 1988 fashion...

Alpine%2520Express.jpg

Which was followed by a bike which had this finishing in the seat tube, lovely...

970%252091.jpg

Oh, wait! Before that 1991 Trek 970 there was another bike which entered our house... and that was returned to the shop as too unestable to ride, as per my dad! I managed to find a picture on the internet, so happy I did! I am checking with my mom if we keep any pictures at home, I remember this bike for having a fantastic paint job... I think ours was black.

91MontareSide.JPG

Then I bought a GT Pantera, in aluminium. It was custom mounted and, as expected, it never really worked properly. I fitted a Manitou IV fork and used it until I got fed up and sold it.

What am I looking for? Basically two things, or three, or maybe four.

Priority number 1 is a 1990 Klein Attitude in team dolomite colours. Yes, I am not the only one and I am sure I even sound like a kind of hipster trying to be cool, but I have desired that bike since December 1989... I was too close to get one on French eBay, but the price went too high and somebody placed a stronger bid on the last second.

IMG_2120.jpg

Priority number 2 is an Alpinestars Al-Mega, preferably 1990 in a tiny size (not like in the picture), or a 1991 "curved seat tube" model, like the one for sale here that I am trying to buy...

almega%252090.jpg

almega%252091.jpg

Priority number 4 is the original Marin Muirwoods, for which I am combing the region with the help of a friend... :LOL:

Priority number 5, Alpinestars T24 or T26.... (XXXXL seat post is not needed) :LOL:

a_stars_t26_318.jpg

Priority number "never gonna happen" is the 1992 Specialized S-Works Epic Ultimate. Dreams...

specialized-sworks-epic-ultimate-13.jpg

And that is basically it... I would love to get a Merlin Titanium, but let's remain (a little bit) realistic.

I am already having fun in this community, and I hope I can contribute with real pictures of my former bikes, once I find them.

Greetings from Yangon!

Welcome! Superb back story you have, if only mine was as interesting!! Tasty wish list too, dont give up on that specialized - any bike that has 'Epic' AND 'Ultimate' in the title has got to be worth the search!!

cheers

Dan ;)

Sorry I put this here instead of firstly on the main presentations thread. And sorry for having posted twice, we can all thank my ISP

:LOL:

By the time dad had that Fisher, I was not only very young, but also very short, it took me a while to grow and I could not use the bike to certify its stability. Years later, after he exchanged it for the Trek 970 (if I am not wrong, one is 39cm from bottom bracket to rear axle, while the Trek is 43...) I was riding his bike one day downhill when I took a right turn too close to the right side, got off the track and crashed at around 40 km/h, destroying my... helmet (and part of my face :LOL: ). Stability?

Those Fisher were too short. I am dying to get the Alpinestars, and I hope the owner sells it to me, and try it myself.

Back