Kona Titanium Frame Serial Numbers - List on Page 9:

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re: Kona Titanium Frame Serial Numbers:

sovereign":1nuyu319 said:
Hi,

yes, sold new in May 1992 in Germany. Frame came with 2 "K" Decals on the downtube only, according to the original owner. I have the receipt including his name, so date of purchase is verified. Serial is B19484.

You can find some pics here: https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/87400

Feel free to add any picture to this thread!

Cheers,
Oliver

Thank you for the link to the pictures. Well as you may have read further back in this thread, Woz has come up with a likely explanation as to why the serial numbers do not run in date sequence.

The "K" decal on your frame was owing to a legal obligation that Kona had at the time. I think it was the Dutch manufacturer Koga who objected to the similar name, so Kona frames were sold in Europe with just a K on the Downtube - or something like that.

Pip.

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View

The 'G' is more than likely to denote a model (or type variation); perhaps not from a Kona branding point of view, but from a
production point of view with associated technical specs. etc.

Again, probably just a sequential digit as you mentioned some Hei Hei had an 'H' too - or?

I mean the Hei Hei had all sorts of iterations (....and the only one I like is with a proper braze on rear cable stop).

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Re:

What about throwing a Haole into the mix...?
B59531 from memory.
‘59’ presumably being the frame size in cm.
I’d be surprised if they had sold 531 Haole’s?

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

Ah yes the Titanium Road Bikes; I should know the answer to this, but were they only produced for the 1994 line up?

I agree that 531 bikes would seem to be too many, so it is looking like the sequential serial numbers were indeed being used elsewhere.

Pip.

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Re:

I’m sure there was more than one model year for the Haole, maybe ‘92 through to ‘95?
I’ve also seen another for sale on here as B59537.
There was another frame which didn’t have the bullet-end dropouts, describes as a ‘92 (sale thread on here from 200:cool: with #B57025

MatBH5

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Re: Re:

pipmeister":3tywtjp2 said:
Ah yes you are indeed correct - here is a '92 on Kona Cog: Serial number B55041

http://cog.konaworld.com/tag/haole/

I can't see a serial number higher than the B59537 that you mention. That one was listed as a 1993.

Pip.

Perhaps small batches as the ‘in year’ numbers are similar? 531 & 537 in ‘93. Then 025 & 041 in ‘92.

mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View

Great thread Pip.

Just some of my thoughts regarding the numbers etc; it could be the bb shells were made in quantity, same as other compaines with certain numbers allocated to each brand they were going to build for. The shells were stamped at the same time with so many sizes going to each manufacurer. Now if they were just pulling shell out of a tub then they would not i doubt rumage around for the next number, resulting in numbers not being in order or year. Tubes, angles, specs change, but the bb shell stayed the same so in theory they could all have been produced at the beginning of production and used throughout the years.

As for manufacturer stamps, from what ive seen the stamp above indicates it is not a kona and made for another company, with Kona for example using the B prefix and Dean using the D etc.

Will post up my serial in a bit but i think you already have it.

mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View

Just for your records incase you havent got it already, late '96 still with the twin cables on the downtube but with the v brake guide on the top tube B18440

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

Cheers Mark,

Mmm, it is indeed looking like the sequential serial numbers were being used elsewhere - presumably on other manufacturer's frames that Ti Sports were making. Your 1996 18" serial number is lower that any of the three 19" frames that I documented in my first post that were from '93, '94 & '95.

Both 18" and 19" would be a more popular size and made in greater quantities, so I guess the numbers will be used up quicker, and the resulting serial number sequence will make even less sense date wise.

Pip.