Kona Titanium Frame Serial Numbers - List on Page 9:

UpDown

Retro Newbie
Thank you very much for the picture. I will add your frame to the Serial Number list soon.

You mentioned "Bullet stays, solid dropouts".

Are your Dropouts like the version below seen on BG18014, which have no triangle cutout? These are the only example like this that I have on record.

View attachment 550995

Pip
Correct, they are just like that, no cutouts.

Ragedracer

Retro Newbie
Hello Pip,

So I have been following your Kona knowledge for some time and now I think I need to utilize your skills. I purchased my Kona Hei Hei in September of 2017. I am a fan of titanium especially the welds on these frames. So I am a bit puzzled and maybe you might have some insight on this. My serial number is KH20057 and has disc brake tabs as well as the matching Kona rigid titanium forks. Where I am puzzled is what might this year be? To add to this is that the very previous frame KH20056 was on eBay with no disc tabs. I will attach some pictures and hopefully you might be able to provide some info on it. Thanks for your time!
Adrian

Attachments

• C6300C67-6CBC-4C8D-873C-A0F397D9B30D.jpeg
    C6300C67-6CBC-4C8D-873C-A0F397D9B30D.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 17
  • B90AF156-9816-4458-A460-2097C640166F.jpeg
    B90AF156-9816-4458-A460-2097C640166F.jpeg
    417.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 4B4C9530-9ED9-429F-8DB3-A26C0D748D90.png
    4B4C9530-9ED9-429F-8DB3-A26C0D748D90.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello there Adrian,

Your Hei Hei is a 1999 model. It has the "Go Faster" Decals from that year with the Red border. Yours lacks the matching Red paint that covered the Head Tube, and extends down to the start of the Decal on the Down Tube and Top Tube. Despite the 1999 Catalogue showing the Painted Head Tube, I have more frames on record that do not have the paint than those that do - See example on previous page: June 2, 2021.

The Disc Tab was introduced to the Kona range in 2000 on the higher end models down to the Cinder Cone. There are no 2000 Hei Hei frames, so your Disc Tab is an after market addition.

We believe that Kona offered the Disc Tab modification for a short while to be done at Titanium Sports Technologies, and there is a slight variance to the style of the Disc Tab design depending where the welding was done. Yours is similar to the TST version, which only ever featured in the Kona range on the Ultra rare Score model.

Your Forks are from another manufacturer. The "matching Kona rigid titanium forks" that you mention are known as Project Two, and are extremely rare, and were only made in Pre-Suspension Corrected Geometry of 390mm Crown to Axle. Your frame is Suspension Corrected Geometry, requiring a Crown to Axle measurement of 410mm at rest.

Thank you for the pictures of your Hei Hei, which I can now add to the Kona Titanium Serial Number List.

I will also appreciate any pictures of KH20056, which you mentioned was on e-Bay, so that I can add this frame to my records and to the Serial Number List.

Cheers, Pip.

Last edited:

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Rightyho, I have updated the Kona Titanium Serial Number List after a flurry of activity.

Firstly, an early 1991 Hei Hei that popped up on e-Bay, with a dreadful selection of poor quality and misplaced '97 & '98 Decals.

Secondly, a 1993 model with a BG prefix, and only the second example that we know of with TST's alternative Bullet Dropouts with no Triangle cut-out. Having said that, I am waiting for pictures of this frame for confirmation of this.

Next up is a 20" 1999 model, although this is another example without the Red Painted Headtube - the owner of this frame has provided a picture of the previous sequential serial number of another 1999 frame, but like the 1993 example above, we currently do not have any pictures of the entire frame.

Finally, I did come up trumps with finding a full set of pictures of a 1997 King Kahuna, which came up for sale on e-Bay in Longmont, Colorado. I only previously had a shot of the Serial Number, and rather pleasingly, it has the somewhat rarer Blue Decals.

On that note made above regarding documenting pictures, if you do find any frames out there that currently do not feature on the List, then please do bring them to my attention, as it all helps with making the List more comprehensive.

Pip

Last edited:

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thank you very much for this. It does help me a great deal with compiling the Kona Serial Number Lists, as I don't always spot these bikes when they come up for sale now.

Well, another 001 Serial Number, which is the second that we have seen now. Mind you the owner of the other 001 (a 1991 model, B17001) was somewhat disappointed when I pointed out that TST did actually start the sequence at 000, which you can see at the start of the 1998 models!

Pip.

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Okay, I have updated the Serial Number List with a 20" 1995 model that has nearly complete original Decals. New member Taiphun is currently stripping the frame ready for a rebuild.

Pip.