Kona Titanium Frame Serial Numbers - List on Page 9:

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

It will be great to add another Hei Hei to the Kona Titanium Serial Number list, and a rare example indeed - only the 2nd that we have seen in size 21".

If your frame has Bullet Dropouts, that should place it as a 1993 model, although I should be able to confirm that with some pictures.

If you could take an in focus picture of the Serial Number, I will be able to add it as a confirmed entry. We have a few examples with a B.G. prefix in 1993.

Should you have any difficulty adding pictures to the site, I will be happy to send you my e-mail address to send as an attachment.

Many thanks,

Pip

Last edited:

onesimo58

Retro Newbie
Some pics of the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3834.JPG
    IMG_3834.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3836.JPG
    IMG_3836.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3838.JPG
    IMG_3838.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 11

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thank you very much for posting the pictures of your Hei Hei. I will add it to the Kona Titanium Serial Number List.

With those Cable Stops, Bullet Dropouts and Serial Number, it would date it as a 1993 model. However, it has a mixture of Decals from different years.

The "KONA" Down Tube Decal, and surviving "HEI HEI" Top Tube Decal, are from 1996. There is also a 1996 Head Tube Decal fitted to the Seat Tube just above the Front Mech Clamp. The Spiral Head Tube Decal that is fitted on the Head Tube is correct for a 1993 model, and so is the oval "K - KONA 3 -2 ½ TITANIUM TUBING" Decal, which is fitted at the top of the Down Tube.

Mmm, curious. All of the Decals look original to me, but it's always possible that later factory replacements could been fitted, as they were available from Kona HQ.

I think it should be listed as a 1993 model, as this would be in keeping with its Serial Number sequence and its Cable Stop arrangement, which in my view dates any frame.

Pip

Last edited:

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Rightyho, I have updated the Kona Titanium Serial List with a frame that we have known about for a while, but until now we didn't have very good pictures, or its Serial Number.

It is a Single Speed version of the Hei Hei, and as far as we know, it is a unique one off. Apparently it was raffled off at an Interbike Show with the proceeds going to IMBA. It is painted with the same Lime Green "top half" paint job as a 1998 Hei Hei on the List with Serial Number KH18047. However, although this Single Speed version is also wearing 1998 Decals, it has a 1997 sequential Serial Number.

Thanks go to Sándor for asking for the Serial Number on Social Media, that I don't do.

Pip

Van Isle Allan

Retro Newbie
Credit goes to al-onestare for informing me about this list. I have owned this Kona Score for almost 20 years now. Earlier in the week I was planning to sell it but now I'm going to swap out a few parts and let my twelve year old daughter ride it for a while. I'm about 6'-2" so this 17" frame is a bit small for me hence the long ugly stem. Lots of miles on this bike and I really need to clean and polish it. It has not had much use for a few years now.
y4mWFUtLqoY_jt0hTalbnz2kmVaTeLrQnVcJdIdODQeb0zU-vRRd42HFNgCNSoCkUbWSHhZjXzJCaSbk8BkhZkB0p_OReQ...jpgy4mqbvt4aa0hmK1MmzsKKQq0T-4YzwvIxrKEqpqHipRN51lIk_fUaWzBBiRuBWOk-KpRf3xdljGe2_f-tq54LPzLXwXXfh...jpgy4mGLnt42_bHSJWz3SCuwrBmrdrlKHjpmIx5IFJYvq9NZa3lyWtlgaausy6DEqipx-5pQecXY1doVH6hQ2T3oHRyEOoCrI...jpgy4muqrzXQRTqwXQbSZrfUKpAP2jol4gnIgyaijO5zeywp38j7uipaZkXYkD-_l67fS6aoiMFFcuZRb3hD3CQUEl3ZGyyd9...jpgy4mqiHu6md8OKzOau_fWdzueOqIW-6VZaI_CdsUVLvRbX8OjfV8ur6_iJzTarw8-FHPdouNEPJbDRk6z9zzW-YCN9qwHpS...jpgy4m1h1J_4sSbIhHEnEt7ZzKjeqM49YWPeZPreYG4C7zQV9Nxspmv88nZbJCgVl_1PP264iAg52lnGqnWBhAF9oUcxb9HWt...jpg

Last edited:

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thank you very much for posting up these pictures. I will add your frame to the Kona Titanium Serial Number List as a confirmed entry.

It is great to see another frame with the original Glow In The Dark Decals intact.

Cheers, Pip.

al-onestare

Kona Fan
Excellent all round. So by my amazing maths skills, we've managed to document 12% of the Score production (ignoring we don't know how many 18" frames were made) 🤣

Jbem

Retro Newbie
This is a very informative thread.
I’m a new member here and I just picked up a bike that looks very similar to a Kona but the serial number starts with a P. Any idea who this was made for?A27C06BB-94FC-4329-861F-C60DF8993907.jpeg

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

A Prefix of the letter "P" is likely to be a Dean frame. These were made by Titanium Sports Technology who also made the Kona Titanium frames. I believe that they are fabricated using the same Sandvik tubing.

Some more picture of the frame would be useful for identification, including details of the Cable Stops and Dropouts.

Pip