Kona Project 2 steerer lengths

jinjrich

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Afternoon all

Will soon be picking up a 96 Kona Kilauea which is fitted with Indy Forks.

I'd like to find a P2 (triple butted if Possible) to give me the option of running rigid, but not sure of the (threaded) steerer length i'd need..

Can any one shed some light? I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer

Cheers All

Hi, the headtube and therefore the steerer usually vary depending on size of frame.

If your keeping the headset you could just measure the steerer length of the forks already in ;)

mark

Re:

Cheers...

Thats what i'd usually do... but there's a pair on Ebay that finish before i'll have chance to pick up my new bike...

Sorry, should have mentioned that its and 18"....

Re:

I have a non-threaded P2 in a 19” frame which has a 20.5cm steerer tube and a spare non-threaded fork from an 18” frame which has 19.5cm steerer, so one cm difference.
I have a 19” frame with threaded steerer which has 16.0cm steerer length.
All of the above are Kona frames with P2s.

The above suggests you’d need a 15.0cm threaded steerer for an 18” frame. Plus/minus a few mms should also work OK.

Re:

Watch out! as a standard headset won't fly if your going to use a stock Threaded original P2 Fork .

Just went though this here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=385846

I had a mint Vintage XT sealed headset I tried just for giggles and it didn't work as the adjusting nut would only bite on one thread and you couldn't even use the Locking-Nut as there was not enough steerer sticking out.

I ended up just using the stock Impact headset after de-rusting/lubing it. My 19” Kona Kilauea with P2 uses a 20.5cm/6.5inch P2 Threaded steerer tube

Re:

Super helpfull info guys thanks!
So sounds like a 150mm steerer with standard impact headset?
Turns out the project 2s on eBay are only about 123mm so they are out.
They look like triple butted ones as well......

Re: Re:

BentRims":mav8sgx5 said:
I ended up just using the stock Impact headset after de-rusting/lubing it. My 19” Kona Kilauea with P2 uses a 20.5cm/6.5inch P2 Threaded steerer tube

Hang on.. 20.5cm is not 6.5”, it’s more like 8”. Could you clarify that descrepancy?

My 19” Lava Dome with Impact headset and threaded tbP2 is factory original (i bought the bike new) and i just took the fork out to measure it. The steerer is 16.0cm long.

Note: 19” = centre of BB to top of seat tube (seat post clamp) as per Kona sizing protocol at that time.

Back