Kona Misser replica 1997

madjh":3fsq0v5u said:
The bicycle Kona Replica was not close to the one Misser race. Misser rides one with a Rock Shox Boxxer, the replica has a Bomber ...

Well no, Misser raced a Turner, this is a Kona, it is a tribute!

Retro Spud":3fsq0v5u said:
will be interesting to see how far into the DH world Al will venture

:) yes, indeed.

Turner made the Konas - the Kona made ones have Kona DH stamped into the Gusset plate. Yes Misser rode a Turner but it was badged as a Kona and he raced for Kona. Turner made a number for Kona then Kona took the design and made the stab...

For those who scoff at the Boxxer on Tommi’s bike - what you don’t know is that the “industrial one” was part of the first batch of 30 Custom made ones which change hands for 4-5K. Peaty’s One is at SRAM Hq, Butter Suspension has one.

I know where 3 are (one is on pinkbike if you search) but the cost is horrific and the other 2 I’d rather not say as I may be able to procure one someday

boxxer":iw8g27hf said:
Turner made the Konas - the Kona made ones have Kona DH stamped into the Gusset plate. Yes Misser rode a Turner but it was badged as a Kona and he raced for Kona. Turner made a number for Kona then Kona took the design and made the stab...

Strange, was just about to reply to your original post and it changed :)

Yes, Turner gave some race bikes to Kona to race, though still disputed wheter the 150 or so Replica frames were made by Turner or Kona.

Retro Spud":l7lnr16i said:
I do agree the industrial looking Boxxers match the rest of set up much better than the up scaled almost whimpy looking XC bombers

but DHO's go for crazy money these days .. will be interesting to see how far into the DH world Al will venture

boxxer":l7lnr16i said:
For those who SCOFF at the Boxxer on Tommi’s bike - what you don’t know is that the “industrial one” was part of the first batch of 30 Custom made ones which change hands for 4-5K. Peaty’s One is at SRAM Hq, Butter Suspension has one.

I know where 3 are (one is on pinkbike if you search) but the cost is horrific and the other 2 I’d rather not say as I may be able to procure one someday

not sure if I've mis read the above or you've mis read my post earlier - I like / much prefer the Rock Shox as its in keeping with the aesthetics of a Industrial (beefy) Downhill bike rather than the Bomber which is more commonly found on light weight Kona XC rigs and TBH looks a tad limp in comparison (in single crown form at least).

It no biggy to me "either way" and of course its Al's decision entirely what he uses/goes with, what we do agree upon is they (DHO) go for crazy money these days

Christ..... 5 pages of this.. before the build has even started! :facepalm:

Peachy!":dyj4ac9z said:

unless it gets spammed by THM - I thought all the best ones start like this..... capturing peoples imagination and sparking debate in the prelude to the build starting

didn't Mike Muz have a thread once that got to 6 or 8 pages and when the frame turned up it was bent to hell and therefore we never witnessed a spanner raised

Retro Spud":28wyo67i said:
Peachy!":28wyo67i said:

unless it gets spammed by THM - I thought all the best ones start like this..... capturing peoples imagination and sparking debate in the prelude to the build starting

didn't Mike Muz have a thread once that got to 6 or 8 pages and when the frame turned up it was bent to hell and therefore we never witnessed a spanner raised

Even better is when a poster posts my picture of my own MTB Spanish magazine that I have right in front of me (along with the December 1996 edition of MBUK) :LOL: And let's me know the differences - we'll get to those my friend - I'm well aware of them ;)

The difference is this will definitely get built and we'll filter rumour with facts wherever possible. As you can see, it's a very murky story but those are the best ones.

So, here are a few more shots including the most beaten up Bomber I've seen in a long time. I'll bet my mortgage there's zero oil left in them.

VM2Hqv.jpg

KpejDy.jpg

4CB9y6.jpg

xETDz2.jpg

Surprised no-one mentioned one of the biggest differences...

5Uhw83.jpg

What's this doing on here? It does mean I can go full discs :cool:

tlqXvN.jpg

:cry:

al-onestare:ei5qttuo said:
So, here are a few more shots including the most beaten up Bomber I've seen in a long time. I'll bet my mortgage there's zero oil left in them.

Surprised no-one mentioned one of the biggest differences...

5Uhw83.jpg

What's this doing on here? It does mean I can go full discs :cool:

:cool: dont know if someone put the disc tab on or not, the next years Turners, which Misser raced under Kona bikes as well, had them though.

This is a borrowed pic of the Misser collection, i will have to dig my Dirt mags out and get a better one taken, not doubt some other great shots should be in them as well :) mbc.jpg abdh1.jpg

Last edited:
I've just ordered a copy of that mag (article) too ^^

It's pretty mad he was winning on these things and there're still in one piece (well at least those ones).

al-onestare":805qq6rc said:
I've just ordered a copy of that mag (article) too ^^

It's pretty mad he was winning on these things and there're still in one piece (well at least those ones).

Quality bikes, and a suspension design that worked very well :)

What number issue is it, do you know? just so i dont have to read through every copy to find it again :LOL:

Back