Kona Misser replica 1997

Re:

Is the top of the spring hitting the frame - I'm assuming its because there is no tension on the shock but that looks close

Re: Re:

boxxer":3uq93cx2 said:
Is the top of the spring hitting the frame - I'm assuming its because there is no tension on the shock but that looks close

Indeed it's very close because there's no tension at all. There aren't any marks suggesting it's been a problem and with the amount of patina on the frame, I trust that for now.

Quite a shopping list is coming together unlike any other RB project I've had to date but that's part of the fun. As I collate more information on the history and context, I've sourced the forks pending confirmation there're heading in my direction from Scandinavia. More on those, I hope, to come.

Critical issues to address are the rear shock and bearings. On the former I should be fine sorting via contacts but the latter I'm struggling with. Does anyone have any solid recommendations of what I'd need?

Final question are wheels. I'm planning to run discs so I was thinking of <gulp> HEDs but any recommendations on what the big boys were running back in 97/98 would be most welcome. Otherwise it's default to Mavic ceramic 121's on XTR M950 hubs and whilst that's pretty special and what they were running in 96, they did soon ditch them for discs.

Since it is a Turner made frame would it not be bushings instead of bearings? I thought I saw a grease port in one of your pictures.

If you are running early discs I would think the key is to use matchings hubs from the same manufacturer. Standards were still being worked out at the time so most sets were a little different from each other.

Re:

For Wheels if you arent going Catalogue then something like a Hope Suspension / Ti Glide Splined for Disk on 121 with Hope C2's

or Early Dee Max (a D321 Painted yellow is another option)

or XTR M950 in 121 or similar or maybe even a DT Hugi on 121 (like JMC ran)

Any of them will be worth of this bike!

boxxer":38bdhall said:
For Wheels if you arent going Catalogue then something like a Hope Suspension / Ti Glide Splined for Disk on 121 with Hope C2's

or Early Dee Max (a D321 Painted yellow is another option)

or XTR M950 in 121 or similar or maybe even a DT Hugi on 121 (like JMC ran)

Any of them will be worth of this bike!

Cheers dude - this echo's what I'm seeing in my pile of magazine from the era (no, not those ones ;) )

My wallet is crying already :LOL: :facepalm:

al-onestare":39pftntv said:
Cheers dude - this echo's what I'm seeing in my pile of magazine from the era (no, not those ones ;) )

You could also go with the coke can Big Uns which would have been launched in 1997, Hopes are plentiful, its the 121's that will be difficult, I have a mismatched 32/36 Pair and am on the look out to make either a set to build with hubs I have

boxxer":vrr5p604 said:
al-onestare":vrr5p604 said:

You could also go with the coke can Big Uns which would have been launched in 1997, Hopes are plentiful, its the 121's that will be difficult, I have a mismatched 32/36 Pair and am on the look out to make either a set to build with hubs I have

They look superb (Big Uns) but there is a point that I'd like to use components that work :LOL: ;)

They look superb (Big Uns) but there is a point that I'd like to use components that work :LOL: :wink

I’ve run Big Uns since 1998 - still have them in the garage on the Bullitt and they are amazing, 3 services in 22 years and I still run with C2’s

Well worth the money I invested back then!

Back