Kona King Kahuna Titanium Frame, size XL / 20"

OldFatTi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Pics of everything here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54590295@N ... 655757677/

For sale is my beautiful 1997-98 Kona King Kahuna Titanium frame, size XL / 20"

Kona size is 20", but it feels much like a "regular" 19"

I am 6ft 2" and it fits perfectly, I would say it suits 6ft plus.

Dimensions:

Seat Tube total length centre to top = 20" (50.8cm)
Seat Tube centre to centre = 16.5" (42cm)
Seat Tube centre BB to top of TT = 17.5" (44.5cm)
Top Tube centre to centre = 23 1/4" (59cm)
Head Tube = 5 7/8" (15cm)

This frame is amazing. It rides sublimely, probably the best bike I've ever ridden, feels more alive than my Titanium Fat Chance, and is super-seductive with all the tube profiling and gussetry!

Quality is second to none - 100% American built by Sandvik/Ti Sports, the tubing is breathtaking and the welds are perfect, dare I say MUCH cleaner than on my Ti Fat :eek:

Beautiful detail like machined billet Ti dropouts and bullet-ended stays and head/down tube gussets take this frame to a level above the legendary Hei Hei.

Butted and shaped 3/2.5 tubes, 6/4 BB and dropouts.

Suspension corrected geometry. I've run 70mm and 90mm Pace RC36 forks and it feels lovely with both. I've heard of people running 100mm Pace/Marzocchi/Fox forks with great results too, so she can keep up with the best of modern hardtails!

The frame takes:

31.8mm front mech
27.0mm seat post
1 1/8" fork
68mm bottom bracket, English thread

Whats Included:

- Frame
- Seatclamp
- WTB Momentum Grease Guard grease injection aheadset (complete with races and bearings, ready to go)
- Shimano Ultegra Octalink splined BB, perfect to suit an XTR M952 crankset, only 2 rides old!

Condition is among the best I've seen. Decals are original and I have a spare set too incase you wanted to rub down or polish up the frame.
No real marks to speak of bar some light chain suck on the chainstay. I haven't even cleaned the frame up... 15 mins with a fine Scotchbrite and the metal will look brand new!
No damage or cracks. This is the last titanium model that was offered with the Kona "BB shell" lifetime frame warranty, so that speaks volumes about the quality of this frame.

The frame has been used but not very much at all, probably about 20 XC rides in total!

I am looking for £900 for the frameset with the parts above included. I have seen cheaper but not in this condition and not with such minimal use.

I have a host of bits available to the new owner if required for their new build (pics in the flickr album):

Fork Options:

1. Excellent condition used Pace RC36 Evo Pro-Class, Gold Ti-Nitride stanchion version, 70/90mm travel, 230mm steerer, V-brake only, Medium or Medium/Hard spring options £150
2. Brand new in box (NOS) Marzocchi MX Pro 100mm travel, 30mm stanchions, V-brake or disc, uncut steerer, last of the legendary Made In Italy V-brake 100mm MX forks! £180
3. Hardly used mint condition Pace RC36 Pro Class 2, The last of the pre-hollowform Pace forks,V-brake or disc, 80/100mm travel, I also have a custom travel adjuster made by Pace to run 63mm travel! Will need a new steerer fitted as currently fitted with a 1" steel steerer. £220

Other Options:

1. Black Hope QR seat collar (as new) £15
2. Shimano XTR M952 175mm crankset, sought after 4-bolt spider model, Good condition bar rubbing to arms and missing tooth on big ring! I was going to sand the anodising off and mirror polish for ultimate bling. £38
3. Thomson Elite in-line seat post, excellent condition, 27.0 x 410mm, black £38
4. 24-Seven layback seat post, black, 27.0 x 400mm £10
5. XTR M950 front mech, top pull, 31.8mm, as used on the KK frame £25

I also have many other nice period parts from this build if interested including:

- XTR M953 rear mech £35
- Avid Ti Mag V-brakes (front and rear, no levers) £45
- XTR M950 V-brakes (front and rear and levers) £140
- Thomson Elite stem 100mm x 15 degree, black, mint £35
- SRAM 9.0 SL (white limited edition) composite brake levers £27
- SRAM Rocket 9-speed grip shifters £20
- Bontrager Race Lite Ceramic wheels (DT Hugi 240 hubs, Bonty Ceramic rims, DT Revolution spokes, all black) £180

Will ship worldwide at cost.

Can take payment by Paypal as gift, cash, cheque or bank transfer.

Gutted to be selling but it just doesn't get ridden enough and I am having a major clearout at the mo :(

Back