Kona King Kahuna '98 - TST factory tabs

romanrinos

Kona Fan
:xmas-big-grin:

On it's way! Took a large gamble on this, coming from Bellingham, via Seattle so am excited that it's now into the Uk!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 12.55.34.png
    Screenshot 2019-12-12 at 12.55.34.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,729
Last edited:
Re:

Well I know exactly what is on its way, but are you hoping that a bit a of a guessing game will now start :xmas-wink: .

Pip.

Re: New Project - Kona

You do - and Im very grateful for your input Pip. Feels a bit strange to be posting on a 98' forum though

..now where did I put those disc brakes?! :D

romanrinos":3bfx9l8x said:
You do - and Im very grateful for your input Pip. Feels a bit strange to be posting on a 98' forum though

Something svelte like these perhaps :xmas-wink:.

You've teased us with a shot of the tracking Sándor; has it landed yet?

Pip

Attachments

• Formula Oro Bianco Lever.JPG
    Formula Oro Bianco Lever.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 2,517
Re: Re:

al-onestare":yzlgoiko said:
Long live the King ;-)

Just no keeping secrets around here is there! :)
Well done Al!

Here’s whats coming. Still deliberating if the decals were put on the frame when new, albeit they are a few years too late from manufacture, since they seem to be an original 2001 set.

Attachments

• BF88BB99-A3AB-4568-9E55-02B8EF442E1A.jpeg
    BF88BB99-A3AB-4568-9E55-02B8EF442E1A.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 2,511
  • 58FD6E2E-6197-415E-8AC5-BE9D6410878A.jpeg
    58FD6E2E-6197-415E-8AC5-BE9D6410878A.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,510

pipmeister":2p13dlfq said:
romanrinos":2p13dlfq said:

Something svelte like these perhaps :xmas-wink:.

You've teased us with a shot of the tracking Sándor; has it landed yet?

Pip

Love the shot of the Formula Oro Pip! And the subtle rise of the Race Face bars.

Going to be quite a jump from the 97’ and as close as I’ll get to a ‘modern’ equivalent, that I needed, whilst being able to retain majority of left over parts.

I’d also been looking into Hayes and Magura for discs.

Frame still not arrived. Tracking from Friday says it’s in London, having left Heathrow. Just hoping it doesn’t get too long in processing!

Re:

romanrinos":u5q8238n said:
Here’s whats coming. Still deliberating if the decals were put on the frame when new, albeit they are a few years too late from manufacture, since they seem to be an original 2001 set.
The Head Tube and Down Tube Decals are definitely 2001. I've not seen an example though of the smaller font Seat Stay Decals before.

It's interesting that your Disc Tab is the original Kona Factory version design. It's similar to the version found on the Score that had them from new. It consists of two separate pieces, unlike my King Kahuna that are just one piece. I understand that it was possible to have the Disc Tab Retrofit done by Kona, so presumably the welding could have been done at TST on yours, where as mine is likely to have been done elsewhere.

Yours also has a welded loop for the Brake Hose (not shown in your picture), which is also found on the Score. My 1997 Retrofit does not have this feature.

I've already put your frame on the Titanium Serial Number List :) .

Finally here are a couple more pictures of the Disc set-up on my 1997 King Kahuna;

Pip

Edit: Seat Tube to Seat Stay.

Attachments

• King Kahuna Disc Rear macro_5.JPG
    King Kahuna Disc Rear macro_5.JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 2,497
  • King Kahuna Caliper_1.JPG
    King Kahuna Caliper_1.JPG
    687.9 KB · Views: 2,497
Re: Re:

romanrinos":3co94w2j said:
al-onestare":3co94w2j said:
Long live the King ;-)

Just no keeping secrets around here is there! :)
Well done Al!

For me the balloon decal design was the worst design they've ever come up with. So I'd be glad to see the back of them, but it's your bike ;-)

What was the driving force for swapping the HH for this KK?

Back