Kona Kapu 1997

Re: Re:

al-onestare":i0vndcap said:
Answers on a postcard what the SB stands for:
Well CM/TB stamped into the Steerer on a pair of Project II's is Chromium Molybdenum / Triple Butted
CM/CM are Plain Gauge, so perhaps CM/SB is Chromium Molybdenum/ Single Butted.

As for 210F837, I assume that the F stands for the Fairly Works factory, and I also thought the 210 could be the Steerer length?

Pip

pipmeister":2zlp5e5z said:
al-onestare":2zlp5e5z said:
Answers on a postcard what the SB stands for:
Well CM/TB stamped into the Steerer on a pair of Project II's is Chromium Molybdenum / Triple Butted
CM/CM are Plain Gauge, so perhaps CM/SB is Chromium Molybdenum/ Single Butted.

As for 210F837, I assume that the F stands for the Fairly Works factory, and I also thought the 210 could be the Steerer length?

Pip

I think you've nailed it Pip - makes total sense. If anyone knows who Tom Foster was that'd be cool (I've asked the seller to see if they know).

For the eagle-eyed reader, you might have noticed the head-set isn't Campy or the catalogue listed Dia-Compe or Impact. It's a no-name Tange so I've just sourced a Veloce one to complete the componentry. Fingers crossed it's as good as it looks after a little TLC.

al-onestare":2z6o7xqy said:
If anyone knows who Tom Foster was that'd be cool (I've asked the seller to see if they know).
....and indeed who "Team Mustard" were - presumably a term of endearment for the local North West Team riders, along with the Skull 'n' Crossbones decals :LOL: .

Pip

Re:

Well that was quick! In lovely condition too, direct from Germany.

MpZ5rF.jpg

Tyres, tyres, tyres. Much as I'd love a pair of those amazing butterscotch tyres there aren't any I can find. Would skin-walls clash too much?

In fact, the question goes deeper; the bar tape, saddle and tyres. The white bar-tape and butterscotch tyres will look good for 2 seconds before they tarnish so really not practical. Black, including the saddle seems too dull.

Suggestions are welcome!

Darker Skin walls with matching bar tape? Shouldn't get too dirty too fast, maybe with a leather or dark tan seat?

It's amazing how nice "even a mere Veloce" Campy headset is.

So that headset is JIS in both race and cup OD? Even Tange JIS headsets used a 30.2mm OD cup (should be 30.0) and that frame's headtube (unless your's is unique) will only tolerate true JIS 30.0 OD. That Kapu was weird like that

FlimFlamVanHam":90he20dh said:
It's amazing how nice "even a mere Veloce" Campy headset is.

So that headset is JIS in both race and cup OD? Even Tange JIS headsets used a 30.2mm OD cup (should be 30.0) and that frame's headtube (unless your's is unique) will only tolerate true JIS 30.0 OD. That Kapu was weird like that

Interesting you bring this up. The 94 Kapu has a similar Campy high stacked headset, of exact dimensions I don't have to hand and to date it's not been a problem. We'll see how this fairs when it comes to the build which won't be till the spring.

Speaking of which, just got off the phone with Argos and we're going with the following colour, a standard metallic grey which is super-close to the stem. Ignore the high gloss finish comparison, the soft sheen will tone down the sparkle to bring it even closer to the stem. With the super-vibrant green, I think this is going to be spot on. I just need to wait to March :LOL: At least it's in the queue and yes, the stem is being returned now.

FnOMnY.jpg

Re:

Using up my annual leave this month meant I had Friday and Saturday to focus on the Kapu, not least because the weather was rubbish and I cancelled a planned ride to Canterbury. Thankfully a new tube of Autosol arrived early doors so it was time to deep clean and polish components I'm transferring from the 96 model. The Veloce groupset is stunning compared with the earlier incarnation I had on the 94 Kapu. It's got a real lustre finish and the crazy aerodynamic touches on the calipers makes me :)

I also got around to giving the frame a thorough polish and once again I'm blown away by the colour. It's nowhere near as fancy as dual fades, but it does change from a sea, aquamarine colour to spring green grass depending on the light. I took delivery of the BB removal tool from Poland on Saturday morning, so after extracting that off the 96 Kapu, I couldn't help start putting some the components (as many as I could) onto the frame. To say I'm stoked is an understatement. It looks even better than the catalogue.

TeTeMd.jpg

AiZhzj.jpg

OhXcAa.jpg

AF9aO9.jpg

d78Kvz.jpg

fzHoxF.jpg

Roll on the spring so I can build up the front end. In the meantime I can think more about cables, saddle and tape; important things like, what colour...

I just came here to see where this was all at. Impeccable timing and I'm not getting alerts. A '97 Kapu owner thing? Looking forward to seeing the complete.

Back