Kona impact headset help

Matty538

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, I've just picked up a 95 kona cinder cone which appears mostly original.
The seller did say that the headset would need a fettle. On taking it apart I've found that both top and bottom races held 5/32" bearings. There was also a dust seal on the bottom race at some point as it fell out as a mangled mess when I dropped the fork.
I've cleaned both races out, filled with fresh grease and I've now swapped the bottom bearings for 18 loose 1/4" bearings. Tightening everything back up and it's much better. However, there is still a slight amount of play in the headset with the collar tightened right down. Could this be because the dust seal is missing and does anyone know where I might get a replacement seal from. Alternatively does anyone have any suggestions for anything I may have missed when re-installing everything.
Any help is appreciated.

Re:

were the race's in good order? if its been ridden for some time with worn/loose bearings it may have worn the bearing race

Re:

It appears smooth and round but I have nothing to check for perfect roundness. I'm not sure you'd want to have rode it in the state it was in, it was very loose.

Latest posts

Back