Kona Hot Serial Number List - update 18/03/24

Yea I got you on the original paint. I respect that. I appreciate that there’s people out there who will keep the bikes original for prosperity.

The bike was rode hard till it became obsolete to ride for its intended purpose I sure rebuilt my mag 20 many times. If I had a decent 1” steer tube suspension it probably would never have been resigned to the shed. So me being me and my left hand brain I concocted an idea. To get this and a Fat Chance Wicked built up as Gravely, errand perhaps even bike pack tripy bikes.
That's a beauty in a very unique livery. It just need a fettle and away she'll go!

THAT is a beautiful fade. And a really stunning early example. Maybe the first custom fade so far on record?
As Pip as already said, please don't respray. Finding a correct colour match white should be easy enough from a hobby shop (you could test out the colour match on a small section to underside of Bottom Bracket) and would the use second Humbrol Enamel paints✨

I think I even have a spare 68mm UN71 for such frame. PM if you'd like it.

Okay, I have updated the Kona Hot Serial Number List with this cracking example of a 1991 16" Purple / White Fade.

As Sándor highlighted, this is the earliest example that we have on record of the two colour fade.

Apologies that it took a bit of time to update the list, but I am away on holiday in Malvern at the moment.

Maintaining the Hot, Ku & Titanium Lists is a bit more involved than just adding a new example as and when they come light. Each picture that I receive, is then filed into my P.C. records after changing the Photograph File name from its original camera number e.g. IMG or DCIM...... massive long number. That way I can search and find any of these frames and bikes as I use a descriptive tile in the file name that includes the frame size and serial number. I also keep a couple of separate Word Documents of the Lists, one of which includes a bit more detail, such as the known current and past owners - some owners are not happy to parade a serial number of their bike frame on the internet.

Any road up, that's how I maintain the Lists. I can say with certainty this is more detailed than Kona themselves have kept on record of their own Custom Program in general :rolleyes:, and sadly Tom Teesdale's frames in particular - I understand that a flood in his old workshop destroyed some of his hand written inventory :eek:.

Pip.

Any idea what I have here? Year, size, any important info I should know about it? I got this from an uncle. I believe it was purchased in the mid to late 90's.

Attachments

• 1630632043074915566647510999820.jpg
    1630632043074915566647510999820.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 16306325547613660761139644994364.jpg
    16306325547613660761139644994364.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 22
The bike in the picture is a 2002 Dr. Dew Commuter Road Bike.

It is made from generic 7005 Double Butted Aluminium with Triple Butted Stays. The Forks are Triple Butted Project Twos.

The size is measured in Centimetres from the centre of the Bottom Bracket, to the top of the Seat Tube. This bike is 55cm, which can be seen on a sticker on the Top Tube near the Seat Tube.

Dr. Dew (Doug Lafavor) is one of Kona's frame designers, and specifically set about making a bike that is fit to commute to work on, in and around Kona's HQ in Vancouver.

The other important information with regards to the posting, is that this bike does not belong on the "Kona Hot Serial Number List" thread. It would be best placed in the "Reader's Road Bikes" here, or if you want a value, in "The one and only "HOW MUCH IS MY xyz WORTH" forum here.

Pip

Last edited:
Thank you for your addition to the Hot Serial Number List. I'm going for TET 966.

Is the frame yours, and do you have any other pictures of it so that I can to add it to my records?

Pip

Thank you for your addition to the Hot Serial Number List. I'm going for TET 966.

Is the frame yours, and do you have any other pictures of it so that I can to add it to my records?

Pip
It's mine. Built up here:

Thank you for the link to some more pictures and information on the frame.

I was wondering what to document the colour as. I assume it is currently what we call a raw frame.

I will add it to the Kona Hot Serial Number list soon.

Pip

Original color was Red. With a orange repainted back end. Has to be stripped down, 'cause of the damage of the chain stay...

Back