Kona Hot Serial Number List - update 18/03/24

H

He already tried that, but he thinks its chemically bonded to the frame
If you start a thread in the Retro MTB Chat section, or the Reader's MTBs --> 1997 section, I'm sure that you will get more response.

My original intention for starting this thread was to add Kona Hot Serial Numbers to the List.

Thank you for your understanding.

Pip

Thank you very much for the picture.

This Serial Number fills a bit of a gap in the List for the 1993 models - between TET 930 and the next one that I have on record at TET 1010. I am currently trying to make that middle digit be a "6", as I am drawn to it being an "8".

Anyway, we can establish that, and I can add it to the List regardless. Some more pictures would be useful for my records to document the two tone colour divide, and to include the frame size in the List. Perhaps you could start your own thread in the Reader's MTBs --> 1997 section, or please do send me something in a Private Message (Conversations).

Pip.

Could be 988. Will see at the weekend i hope...
Built-up is in our german forum. A few more pics there, but the the rear triangle is painted not originally.
The red is original. It needs a refurbish, that for sure. Btw, i guess it came out of this forum here.

Thank you for the the link to the pictures. I have documented it in my records as a 19" frame, and will add it to the List soon. We can always confirm the Serial Number - the digits "6" and "8" are sometimes a little tricky to determine, depending on the light.

Pip

Okay I have updated the Hot List with three new entries, all from 1993.

I have currently decided to document the Burgundy / Orange 19" frame discussed above as TET 986. We can still discuss this further, but here is an example of Tom's stamping of the "6" digit and the "8" digit.

I maintain the the digit "8" has a top right curve that protrudes further out than the digit "6" top tail - see examples below of a clearer 6 and 8 on TET 1681:

TET 6s and 8s.jpg

Pip

Rightyho, I have updated the Kona Hot List with three new entries.

Firstly, a superb example of a Tom Teesdale frame made in 1991 that is now with mesoknotty, who currently seems to be starting a collection of early Hots!

Next up an Altitude Cycle Technologies frame from 1996, which still appears to be as mint as the day it was originally delivered.

Finally, a real corker that was brought to my attention by Sándor. One from the final run built by Altitude in November 1996, and in the ever desirable Rasta Green & Yellow Flame. A fine example of the iconic Factory Team Livery 1997 Hot.

Pip

I thought our Hots were already on the list, but I didn't see my wife's. It is TET 1245 - Tange Prestige Ultimate with the fluted downtube. I had Cyclefab in Seattle do disc mount and top mounted cabling many years ago & had it powder coated (sad I didn't do Imron) PXL_20210526_230443068.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210526_224520223.jpg
    PXL_20210526_224520223.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210526_224150147.jpg
    PXL_20210526_224150147.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back