Kona Explosif

NoDriversLicense

Dirt Disciple
I check craigslist often for better than normal deals from folks whom do not know what they have. I found a 1994 Kona Explosif, it looks perfect but has the Race Light stickers on the head tube instead of mountain shock. Is the an option between rigid and suspension or is it a sticker kit on another bike?

Looks too good to be true minus the forks (crap, no Joe Murray) stem and Handlebars are downgrades too. Seat also missing. but full spec XT/ sugino/ suntour/ Kona RL appropriate everything else.

Why would someone not keep the original fork if the bike was already mint. Put on a worse fork. The seatpost has the "race light" sticker also.

All measurements are good. It looks right and naked it was 4.23lbs (1.91kg)

Also, no ribbed DT. and No tange decal are red flags. My question being, is it a later year, maybe a columbus Max frame?

I dont want to pass on a good looking bike that light. Just wondering if a real Kona, regardless of columbus or Tange.

Any input is great,
Cheers.

I checked here for tips and tricks to identifying vintage Konas. Is there anything I missed? (not stated above)

Attachments

• kona.jpg
    kona.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 1,741
  • kona1.jpg
    kona1.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 1,741
  • kona2.jpg
    kona2.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,741
  • kona3.jpg
    kona3.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,741
Re:

Looking a few pics of 1994 Explosifs they don't appear to have the ribbed tube of the '93. The frame weight for me is the real giveaway I can't imagine another steel Kona model (other than a Hot) being that light.

The fork is a little odd - it suggests the original P2 was damaged or the original sus fork wore out.

Some '94 Explosifs didnt have the ribbed down tube ;)

Mark

Re:

Awesome news. There isnt much info available other than here and the self named website. Ill post improved (not restored) results later on. Thanks

I am Completely impressed. I didnt imagine a 1994 bike absorbing a more harsh road than my Surly. (Not knocking surly by any means) I see why the 90's Kona hype exists. It is a solid bike, other than the slight "wiggle" from the stem-head, I'm convinced. Gotta convert to threadless (sorry puritans) I'm 188cm tall and can ride this almost comfortably with a 19" frame. Its low, handles well and I like it. Probably should have found a 20" but for 150usd i'll take it. honestly, it feels like a large BMX. Kudos Kona! I think rigid is good for its size. If you have some JMP2's pm me. I want silver gold or that olive please. Love this web site by the way!

Re:

Its right beside me. The XT components are mint! It came with all the original equipment minus seat and handlebars. I't doesnt have the ribbed down tube, but it does wave a flanged seat tube at the bottom with a flat front and back. I havent seen anything on that? The fork on it is a Tange Big Fork triple Butted Steel which is okay, but the geometry would be better (for me) with a bit more slack and raise. I cant wait to go broke fixing it up.

Good price, doesnt look like you will have to spend much on it to get it back to spec, you should start a thread on readers mtb's.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Will do. I am also wondering if any gumshoes of decoding serials know what my Kona's mean. F4038689 The 9 is raised 2 mm above the other numbers and is not a complete 9, it looks like a reverse E all numbers have a white paint strip over it. I figure march 1994 in Taiwan due to the 1994 Explosif web thingy. But are all of the last digits in a serial raised like a speedometer 9 about to hit 0? and lightly stamped. I really am curious about this bike because I have never seen a 1,000 dollar bike from 20+ years in almost new condition. It's like treasure hunt, but you just like to ride and always want something "better". Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Back