Kona advice

SgS

Dirt Disciple
Hi. I’m new to the forum and have a small collection of Kona’s from 90s. They are not top models but I’m hoping to build up. Looking to Kona fans out there for advice. I have an almost original 96 Koa in great great condition and a frame (minus components) of a 96 Lava dome. Am I correct that they basically had the same components? LDs seem to be more popular being steel. The question I have is should I build the LD up with better reconditioned components and leave the Koa as is or transfer the components over to the LD and make it “original”? Open to suggestions…thanks. BC8E9FE4-E23C-4F25-B132-5414FEB1D361.jpeg

Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

The Koa pictured in your post is a 1997 model. It is an earlier example with the Canti Bridge on the Drive Side Seat Stay - the later version does not have this feature, as V-Brakes were by that point making an impact.

1996 Koa that you mention has the same Geometry and 7005 Aluminium Tubing as the 1997, and is a lovely Matt Red called Red Rum.

I'm now wondering what year your Lava Dome is? The colour of the 1996 that you mention is called Orange Lava, and is a similar colour to the 1997 Koa, while the 1997 Lava Dome is called Forest Green.

Take a look at the link in the 1997 catalogue below, and you'll see the components used - I'd leave your Koa as it is, and build up the Lava Dome.

Pip

Last edited:
Hi Pip. Thank you for the correction and advice. So then as you mentioned and from your specs link my Koa is 97 and my Lava Dome is 96 - very similar in colour. I am glad to keep the Koa as is being complete and a one owner bike - picked it up from a guy selling it as a kids bike and it was fitted with mudguards and reflectors😁 I was thinking of converting the Lava Dome to Deore XT with XT thumbies - not worth hunting for XTRs for a Lava Dome. I rescued them off a damaged Cannondale heading for the dumpster.
My daily ride is a 98 Fire Mountain 335E469C-AC8E-44F0-9390-BA8DFCFE958C.jpeg which I upgraded to 8 speed (wheel swop-out) and put on a Deore LX rear derailleur and Deore thumbies upfront. Not the most desirable but great for getting around and considering setting it up to do a few bike packing tours. I have the 97 Fire Mountain as well but it is also a one owner close to original condition.

Shane

Thanks ENC. I will take the advice. Just need to source some period look pedals for the Koa. As mentioned I picked it up being sold as a kids bike for the school commute.

Hello and welcome to Retrobike.

The Koa pictured in your post is a 1997 model. It is an earlier example with the Canti Bridge on the Drive Side Seat Stay - the later version does not have this feature, as V-Brakes were by that point making an impact.

1996 Koa that you mention has the same Geometry and 7005 Aluminium Tubing as the 1997, and is a lovely Matt Red called Red Rum.

I'm now wondering what year your Lava Dome is? The colour of the 1996 that you mention is called Orange Lava, and is a similar colour to the 1997 Koa, while the 1997 Lava Dome is called Forest Green.

Take a look at the link in the 1997 catalogue below, and you'll see the components used - I'd leave your Koa as it is, and build up the Lava Dome.

Pip
Hi Pip. Another question…I have a 97 Cinder Cone which has the original Indy C shox. I have an excellent set of Indy XC shox which I could change out for, or better to go for P2 rigid forks? P2 always look good even though I don’t think they were an option on the Cinder Cone in 97?
Also I’m reading a lot about these later 90s Konas paint chipping…would it be worth putting over a clear top coat and if so, any recommended brands?
Many thx
Shane

6527D7D3-36E6-495D-85CA-068AAD04BB97.jpeg Btw here is the Lava Dome mentioned earlier. As seen it is a very similar colour to the Koa so should be 96? Ignore the components wheels etc. Was playing with ideas and wanted to get it to a rolling chassis for easier storage😁

View attachment 559739Btw here is the Lava Dome mentioned earlier. As seen it is a very similar colour to the Koa so should be 96? Ignore the components wheels etc. Was playing with ideas and wanted to get it to a rolling chassis for easier storage😁
Yes, your Lava Dome is a 1996 model.

The quick rule of thumb here with identifying the catalogue year is the style of font on the Decals, and the colour of the paint - although there are variants on the paint! Obviously the tubing used, and Cable Stop arrangement developed through the years, but it's a quick method of identifying the year of any Kona.

Each of the catalogues can be found on this site, so please do view them for reference:

I must say that you seem you have a lovely collection of mid range 90's Kona bikes, but I wouldn't be concerned about paint chipping or clear top coat. By all means apply a little touch up paint here and there with modelling paint, but just accept that these are 25 year old bikes - some do shed their paint more readily than others though. The 1998 Kilauea being a fine example of this!

With regards to your newly revealed 1997 Cinder Cone, my understanding is that the Indy C was a poor fork, and flexed a huge amount. The Indy XC would probably be a better choice, but someone will know more than I do on this. You're correct that the 1997 Cinder Cone did not originally come fitted with a Project 2 fork, although that would make for a great ride, unless original catalogue build is important to you?

If I may, I am going to bow out here now with regards to build advice, as there are other circumstances regarding my contribution to this site that you may not be aware of. I can certainly give advice on the year and hierarchy of any Kona model, although I have never built a period correct bike, but merely fitted the best components that suit me.

Pip

Last edited:
Yes, your Lava Dome is a 1996 model.

The quick rule of thumb here with identifying the catalogue year is the style of font on the Decals, and the colour of the paint - although there are variants on the paint! Obviously the tubing used, and Cable Stop arrangement developed through the years, but it's a quick method of identifying the year of any Kona.

Each of the catalogues can be found on this site, so please do view them for reference:

I must say that you seem you have a lovely collection of mid range 90's Kona bikes, but I wouldn't be concerned about paint chipping or clear top coat. By all means apply a little touch up paint here and there with modelling paint, but just accept that these are 25 year old bikes - some do shed their paint more readily than others though. The 1998 Kilauea being a fine example of this!

With regards to your newly revealed 1997 Cinder Cone, my understanding is that the Indy C was a poor fork, and flexed a huge amount. The Indy XC would probably be a better choice, but someone will know more than I do on this. You're correct that the 1997 Cinder Cone did not originally come fitted with a Project 2 fork, although that would make for a great ride, unless original catalogue build is important to you?

If I may, I am going to bow out here now with regards to build advice, as there are other circumstances regarding my contribution to this site that you may not be aware of. I can certainly give advice on the year and hierarchy of any Kona model, although I have never built a period correct bike, but merely fitted the best components that suit me.

Pip
Hi Pip. Thank you for the advice and taking the time to respond - it is appreciated. I am not a purist in restoration but try to keep all the original bits I can that would not otherwise need to be changed. Non of my bikes ever hit hard downhill tracks anymore but upgrades to shifters and derailleurs are always a positive improvement. I ride 90s Mtbs for the enjoyment of what they are - they just don’t make them like this anymore. By the way this how I got my Cinder Cone - lucky one owner find, and the guy only used it for the odd commute - hardly any marks on the frame. Still has the sniff front tire and original saddle graphics. 16E2FF19-6D8D-47DE-9A8B-5DB68896A0A0.jpeg I have not touched it yet so maybe will post the refurbished bike sometime.

thanks again and see you around.
Cheers
Shane

Back