Kona - 1995 Cinder Cone vs 1995 Lava Dome

Mortonm

Kona Fan
I have a 95 lava dome (18" frame) in great shape except it's missing the original steam and seat post.

STX kit and it runs great.

I just brought home tonight a 95 cinder cone (16" frame) for the stem and maybe the seat post if IRS long enough.

The components on the cinder cone are higher level deore vs stx front mech, deore vs xt rear. Mavic 236 vs 237 wheels.

The brakes are Richey logic with the kona levels. Are these better than the STX ones ?

Is it worth swapping out some of these parts ? Also the fact is the parts on the cinder cone are currently of unknown condition.

What would you guys do ? Keep the marching and working original kit or swap some components ?

A lot of questions I know. Cheers.

Re:

Assuming both are original spec, the following parts have the same quality level:
Frame, fork, stem, headset, handlebar, brake levers, front hub, front and rear spokes, seatpost.
Everything else on the Cinder Cone is higher spec than the Lava Dome.
Whether it’s worth swapping any parts depends entirely on condition and wear. If condition is good the crankset, derailleurs and brakes are worth swapping (but only if wear is similar or less than your existing Lava Dome parts).

I think it all depends on what plans you have for the Lava Dome.

If you want to restore it to original spec, sounds that way as you bought another bike just for the stem/seatpost, then dont swap. Restore until your happy. You have the Cinder Cone to ride then, and if the parts are worn you can replace with whatever you fancy as you go along.

Whatever you decide, this thread needs pictures ;) :D

Mark

Re:

Thanks for the replies guys

I ended up taking the stem and the ritchey brakes off the cinder cone and selling it. The parts were higher spec but also higher wear.

I found a 1997 Kilauea SE that has put me into a real bind how to continue Haha

Back