Klein stem fork and headset question

Yetichaser

Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi
I’ve got an xs 1990/91 ish Attitude frame that i’m looking to build up for my son to use (hopefully at the Malverns).

However, it doesn’t have the front end.

So far the bits I have are a headtube adapter (from Kleins painted) to enable use of a 1 1/8” unthreaded headset, and I’ve managed to get my hands on a mission control stem, although the quill measures approx 21.5mm, or approx 0.85”.

The stem quill looks small so was wondering if anyone knows the diameter of the quill that I can compare against.
I have a feeling that this one might have been for a Pinnacle or Rascal.

Following on, if it is the right size, then do I need 1 1/4” threaded forks and 1 1/4” threaded headset? I thought I reads somewhere that there was a unique headset for these early Attitudes.
Any guidance welcome.

Alternatively, if I use the headtube adapter then presumably I just need to find a 1 1/8” aheadset and corresponding unthreaded fork. Which seems much easier albeit not quite as original as I’d like.

Ultimately, the bike is going to be used so not too worried about having the full original front end

Any guidance appreciated
Thanks

You mentioned you have an adapter to use an unthreaded fork, but then mention quill stem. Will the adapters you have work with a threaded fork?

That aside, you can get a shim to make a 1 inch quill fit in a 1 1/8 fork, many of the quill to ahead stem adapters come with one so you could go down that route if you want to use the mission control bar/stem combo.

Thanks. I bought the stem after headset adapter in a leap of faith.

The frame is currently being painted so don’t have it to hand.

Using a shim with mission control and then threadless forks seems like a good plan.

The headset adapter will simply allow you to use a 1.1/8 headset, either ahead or threaded, like fitting one to a standard frame.
Sounds like you have got an early mc1 for a rascal or pinical as you said.
I wouldn't run a inch threaded steerer with an 1.1/8 headset and using a shim.

Just fit forks/steerer in 1.1/8

As an FYI I used a set of those adapters once, it put the front of the bike very high, made for a very slack head angle.
I had my adaptors machined down to almost flush with the head tube.

So, use headset adapter/reducer, then Bung the MC1 stem into a 1 1/8” unthreaded fork with a shim for the stem to fit the fork?

So, use headset adapter/reducer, then Bung the MC1 stem into a 1 1/8” unthreaded fork with a shim for the stem to fit the fork?
No, sell the mc1 and use a normal stem and bar set up.
Fitting a 1inch mc1 into a 1.1/8 isn't ideal, too risky in my opinion.

Back