Klein Adept Rescue!!!!

fotorat1

Retro Guru
All being well I should be collecting this in a few days

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klein-Adept- ... 7675.l2557

Not expecting the fork to be any good and I am in no doubt that rear shock will be leaking air.

I have a few bits and bobs to bling it up XTR style...

It has the original wheels which I will keep if they good.

Does anyone know the diameter of the seat tube - I am hoping that my 30.9 Reverb will fit it?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

What a nail! but I took a punt as the frame looked intact and no dents, So I figured there is a good bike in there somewhere
29.5lbs as shown in photo
p6pb17741523.jpg

Forks lock up at about 10mm travel.
Rear hub so loose the tire has rubbed the paint of the inside of the chain stay.
Chain worn out so that the chain check falls in on 1.0
Filthy like it has been used for commuting for years and never maintained
Main Pivot bolts loose
No air in the rear shock
And speckled with white paint!

Positives:
BB threads good
White Paint speckles came off easily
about 15 frame protector patches came off revealing nothing more than rubbing through to the undercoat. I left the "supplied by Swinnertons Cycles Stoke on Trent" sticker on for now!
Headset ok
Frame has cleaned up, better than I hoped for so ok for a neglected Klein
20.3lbs W/O Cranks/Chain/MEch, and brakes - so fingers crossed for <26lbs finished
p6pb17741528.jpg

p6pb17741533.jpg

Re:

Looking up now!

Striped and cleaned the the main bearing, and it had top hats alloy with brass and the main pivot was alloy with brass too.

Fitted brakes and gear cables and rear mech and EA50 Bars, I was going to chuck the race face stem, but it cleaned up nice so its staying

and now it is 22lbs dead, pending cranks/chain/pedals
p3pb17744747.jpg

Looks nice, the frame looks in really good condition.

Re:

Looking real good, what about the forks? Did a oil service sort out the restricted travel or was there more to it?

Re: Re:

davidj":33jqyyc0 said:
Looking real good, what about the forks? Did a oil service sort out the restricted travel or was there more to it?

Yes I took the tpc out and the valve was covered in Gunk, and the oil was too low. so I degreased the tpc valve and used new oil and made a dipstick to make sure I filled it properly and voila - they work perfect now!

I also took the lowers off at the same time and cleaned everything up and rea lubed it. No play in the bushings and the lowers were light as a feather!

I used 5wt oil and at first they rebounded a bit fast - but they have settled in a bit slower now!

Bizarre looking bike - but then the Mantra was a little unconventional

and why have everyday normal when you can have something different

I like that. Personally I’d make it 1x and use the front mech cable mounts for the dropper. I reckon that would still work with a monarch rl and some rebas too for real retro mod. Lots of potential to play with over the years.

Back