Kids sponsorship forms - how much?!

MartinYorkshire

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm probably very out of touch with this but our lad brought home his first sponsorship form from school the other day.

On the pre-printed sheet itself, there is an example sponsorship at the top with a value of £20 written in.

Does anyone else dislike this passive aggressive approach from charities? It feels as if they are trying to shame people into giving such amounts. I'm not averse to charitable giving, but no way would I ever let my child go around friends and neighbours asking for sponsorship amounts in multiples of £5, let alone £10. I mean OK, if it's a 12 year old with chronic asthma and a foot full of verrucas climbing everest I'd reach into my pocket, but not for a sponsored walk around a park by mid to late single digit age kids.

What happened to 50p fix?

Meanwhile, the CEO of the aformentioned charity rakes in £250,000 a year.

I'm getting so grumpy with age.

Yes you are.....welcome to the club.

I remember doing "bob a job" with the cubs. When a bob was 12 penny. How that ended up as just 5p i will never quite understand! Well, other than the fact we got robbed in the change to horrid metric.

That's bad show for a school. Complain to the school about having high recommended donations on the forms. Pupil Premium families and many other families certainly wouldn't be able to afford that and so puts them at a disadvantage. I can lower moral in the students and the families for feeling inadequate. Pretty bad show for a school.
Most students will get 50p or a quid, you may get one in the whole class who can manage to gather £20 or more from a family.

An paid for Independent school may be a different matter, though quite often they still don't have a lot of spare money.

That's bad show for a school. Complain to the school about having high recommended donations on the forms. Pupil Premium families and many other families certainly wouldn't be able to afford that and so puts them at a disadvantage. I can lower moral in the students and the families for feeling inadequate. Pretty bad show for a school.
Most students will get 50p or a quid, you may get one in the whole class who can manage to gather £20 or more from a family.

An paid for Independent school may be a different matter, though quite often they still don't have a lot of spare money.

It's a form from the charity rather than the school but your thoughts echoed my own. Less well off families could feel inadequate.

The charity is Cancer Research and it's Race for Life, so not something obscure.

I read their annual report, I think it said they spend £92m on marketing to make £400m gross.

Don't they have to get some high value starter sponsorship for that one?

Or is this a virtual one in your own back garden sort of thing?

Don't they have to get some high value starter sponsorship for that one?

Or is this a virtual one in your own back garden sort of thing?

It's just a group of kids running/walking a distance in the local park as far as I can tell. My general feeling is that all the largest charities are some kind of veiled scam and this sort of thing doesn't help.

I'm more the kind of guy who'd go to Asda, spend £500 and distribute it to local food banks run by individual churches, or donate items/clothes I know I have considerable retail value to the local hospice. At least then I know the money is going almost directly where I want it to go.

Thats a controvertial point of view though, obviously.

I received a lot of grief when I refused to sponsor someone on a race for life at work. It's a good cause, no doubt about it, but my money goes to other charities that are under represented.

What made me laugh was that when I said 'Would you please give some money to charity XXX then?' people said no. Not because they couldn't afford it, nor that they didn't agree with the charity, but simply because I said no to giving to Race for life.

People are weird.

Back