Kids Klein Attitude Build

Yetichaser

Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Having built the Fat Chance Buckshaver up a couple of years ago for my eldest son, I was starting to think what i’d replace it.
It still fits him but my youngest son is starting to outgrow his Trek and has his eye on the Buckshaver so I needed something interesting to work on next.

An xs Attitude frame in not so great condition came up for sale last year and I snapped it up.
Due to other priorities it sat in the garage largely forgotten about.

Then, earlier this year, Komraid on here offered a re-spray at cost and I was fortunate to have my done.
I was really pleased with the result and is spurred me on to kickstart the build.

What I didn’t appreciate was the hassle for obtaining forks, headset plus the MC1. And the expense of those items. The cost of the frame paled into insignificance once i’d totted up these other items.
Note to self- next time buy frame/forks/MC1 as one…and don’t baulk at spending £1,500 on it.

Anyway, as this is a bike to be used (and raced), it needed suspension forks so a set of Mag 21s were acquired along with the correct Klein crown.

The headset was a PITA - my local bike shop telling me a part was missing as the fork kept sliding out of the headset (actually its held together with loctite) so I ended up doing it myself this afternoon.

I wasn’t intending to pit it together today, but the Maguras had arrived in the post and I had my Ringle/Bullseye wheels from my old Yo Eddy so I though I’d chuck those on to see how if fits my son for size.
He loves it.

Next thing to consider is whether I go for XT thumbshifters and front/rear mechs, or whether to try out Campagnolo.
Its broadly period correct (perhaps not the maguras but he needs decent brakes for racing) but the reat of the spec should be items that may have been offered on the original build options or other trick stuff available at the time.
Hopefully, it will be ready in time for the summer, for the Malverns classic in case we end up going.

Attachments

• 9C21C66B-837B-4DB1-9267-17F5E21DEC2D.jpeg
    9C21C66B-837B-4DB1-9267-17F5E21DEC2D.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 6610770E-55C9-4BBE-90BC-B37210062E71.jpeg
    6610770E-55C9-4BBE-90BC-B37210062E71.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 9CC746B3-E251-4BC2-BCEA-A3AB68C3074C.jpeg
    9CC746B3-E251-4BC2-BCEA-A3AB68C3074C.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 072C2064-1DAA-406D-838A-772BC13ECA5C.jpeg
    072C2064-1DAA-406D-838A-772BC13ECA5C.jpeg
    654 KB · Views: 107
  • 4D977FD6-7E21-485A-AE22-032545AD4AEF.jpeg
    4D977FD6-7E21-485A-AE22-032545AD4AEF.jpeg
    718.4 KB · Views: 107
I like that, looks great with the new paint.

I like the magura on there too, great choice for racing.

Look forward to seeing more pictures :cool:

Proper posh bike :cool:..!

Not sure about the blue wheels though, guess 'all black' would look better against all the fluoro. Just my 2 cents.

Xt with hyperglide casette might be a better option for racing
I’ve got myself a lovely Campag rear mech hopefully being fitted on Friday and some Campag shifters. Can imagine this might not be reliable compared to Shimano but its different.

Have had to settle for some kids cranks to avoid knee injury and so will be running single chainring.

Proper posh bike :cool:..!

Not sure about the blue wheels though, guess 'all black' would look better against all the fluoro. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I know where you are coming from here. i recycled the wheels from my Yo Eddy to cut costs.
Got a pair of black Bullseyes too on my White Spider so might get them rebuilt onto these rims. They are NOS Campag rims.

I’ll hopefully get some more pictures on the weekend if the rear mech is set up properly. It now has a Syncros seatpost and a mint Flite seat.

Hoping for my son to be able to use it at the Malverns classic next month.
Last year he got plenty of positive comments on the Buckshaver which was really nice.
If anyone is attending feel free to stop and say hello and take a look.

Most importantly my son will be riding it. Hopefully I’ll be entering him in the kids dual slalom, 4x, xc and downhill.
Unlike some Klein's this one will be raced although my son is ‘cautious’ in his riding style so probably has his best chance at XC but at least he will look cool on the DH. And hopefully those Maguras will help.

Almost finished. Kids cranks on, currently using a 7 speed freewheel but sourced an & speed that I might swap over to.
Pink grips I get are not to everyone's taste but I think they work reasonably well colourwise.
Campag rear mech looks stunning.
Might need some more zipties for the rear brake line but.
My son had a wuick go on it last weekend and seems to fit well Nd likes the riding position. Will take him on some off road trails over next few days to settle him in. Then roll on the Malverns…

2FC499DD-CC89-4C14-A838-B0150255BE87.jpeg

Back