KHS Montana Team 1993

I'm so far off piste we're considering pink Judys :D

I was thinking yellow. It'll clash, but then so did gold. I also have the right yellow in 'stock' (I do also have more than enough pink, hmmmm)

Re:

Paint stripped off the frame. Love spray on Hycote paint stripper, really good stuff by modern standards...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 09.03.41.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 09.03.41.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 2,840
  • IMG_5285.jpeg
    IMG_5285.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 2,839
Re: KHS Montana Team 94 to 93 conversion

ishay":14ssiz2i said:
Oh, exterior ones. I wonder if they’ve been braised on for practically at some point in its life?
Just looked, as I hadn't clocked them before. I bought the Team frame with the rack mounts, but they don't make sense unless they were added later. The 1993 Comp frame has rack mounts drilled/tapped into the seat stays. The decals are all correct for a Team including the 'KHS 24' and tubeset on the seat tube. Although obviously they're an easy change. Will see when it arrives.

Back to the KHS being restored, I think pink Judys would look amazing.

Re:

Spending a lot of time prepping the frame, treating rust, sanding, filling tiny dings, sanding. This one needs to be just right.

Just arrived.... bizarrely for somebody not afraid to drop money on bikes this is the first piece of XTR I’ve owned... more to come

Attachments

• 17060557-38DB-473A-9D46-C22A4CB0A16D.jpeg
    17060557-38DB-473A-9D46-C22A4CB0A16D.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 2,774
Re: Re:

Once A Hero":39qrhxa2 said:
What will be your colour choice for the Judys? Looking to go gold like the Mag 21s or pink as the rigid fork? (I think pink might look pretty good).
There are some subtle differences between the US and Euro spec / '92 - '93 spec, such as the rims, tyres and pedals - brochure pages attached, which I'm sure you've already seen;

Once a hero, I have what I think is a ‘93 Comp in metallic green. I’m trying to positively I.D. it and would love to your pages related to the USA Comp. if you could pm me the pages I would appreciate it.

I’m new to the forums, but it’s projects like yours, ishay, that inspire me to go beyond refurbs and do a full resto project! I too have never owned any XTR, though I have about 20 bikes in the garage right now, and love working on them! Excited to watch this come together!

Re: Re:

abominable":26toptvo said:
Once A Hero":26toptvo said:
Once a hero, I have what I think is a ‘93 Comp in metallic green. I’m trying to positively I.D. it and would love to your pages related to the USA Comp. if you could pm me the pages I would appreciate it.

Hey abominable, I’m afraid I don’t have the US brochure pages - just a digital of the Team I posted earlier.
The euro/uk ‘93 brochure is available here - which may help for spec if not colour;

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... gues/1993/

Re:

Bit late to the KHS love off - haven't logged on for a year (!).

I had Gil draw up the proper decals for the Silver '94 team bike for me a few years back. Just in case you decide to keep it silver ;)
Don't think Gil has the earlier decals on file for the blue/pink bikes.

Very cool bike. My everyday bike is my silver khs '94 team singlespeed bastard.

Re:

He does now! Thanks to help from Once a Hero and his originals via DM, I got close up photos to Gil and he made them up.

They were delivered a couple of weeks ago.

However that's not what was slowing me down. I've spent the summer riding, riding, and riding some more (on road and on my 2007 Kona mostly). In my head I'll pick all this up in the winter when I spend more time in the shed than the road/trails.

I think I might get a professional respray this time. Because I'm riding a lot again it'd be nice to know this one will stand up to abuse on the trail. Need a resprayed near Oxford, so if anybody has any ideas I love to hear them...

Because the frame is bare steel and I got the rust off, it's living indoors by a radiator, which my wife loves!

Well this thread, and indeed hobby, stalled badly because I’ve really fallen in love with actually riding bikes again, in fact more than ever. Riding/training and Zwift racing 10 hours week, working full time from home and having a family doesn’t leave much time for restoring. This frame is still awaiting painting.

However, I did have time over a couple of rest days to semi-rat build a similar 94 Montana Comp frame with some of the parts I collected for this, some the Comp came with and some from the parts drawer. This is now the most practical 90s bike I’ve build to jump on and ‘just ride’

Attachments

• 95F98F9B-E485-47B0-8717-FA4E86D969B9.jpeg
    95F98F9B-E485-47B0-8717-FA4E86D969B9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 96
Back