JUDY XC Rebuild Questions

75Denver

Dirt Disciple
Hey All- I'm starting this thread just to double check what I've got is worth saving or possible to rebuild with the current parts. I decided to get back into a hardtail and found a SUPER clean '95 Klein Pulse. Of course, the first thing that went was the fork ('95/96 XC). So here are a few shots after disassembly and cleaning. Oh….and I've already researched the steps/parts/etc from GT-Steve's write up (great work!!! Thank you!).

The dummy side had the worst side with crumbled elastomers and jammed up parts. I was able to clean everything out and inspect the internals and all looks well. The cartridge side is of the most concern. When I loosened the bottom hex bolt grease started to slowly pour out (it was clean). Unfortunately, when I pulled the damper cartridge I discovered it's the plastic version. The top (closest to the elastomers) was filled with crumbled bits and oil. I've read through other's responses about the "asthmatic" sounds vs "falls apart" and mine kind of leans more towards the asthmatic sound. It has some suction but nothing incredibly strong (should it?).

My question/concern are:

Will I be able to use the current parts with the plastic cartridge or do I need to toss it and try to find a metal one?

Is the seal the (picture of the seal in hands) the problem the cartridge is leaking or is it the O-ring?

Does anyone know where I can find the seals/o-rings if this is the problem?

I already bought some MCU stacks online but am considering Kronos springs now…if I use the springs, is the cartridge still going to be the problem (educate me please…I want to say yes it will).

Thank you all in advance. Any additional tips, secrets, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Brody

Attachments

• IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,340
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,339
  • IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,340
  • IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,340
Get the spring kit.
You could use the MCU kit with the spring kit to help cut down on the bounce you can end up with using just springs.

The dampers are junk,they were junk when new to be honest.

You can get air kits for them but they are getting hard to locate now.

On the up side they are worth saving, and from the pictures the stanchions and outer legs look real clean.

:)

Oh and welcome :cool:

Niall.

Re:

The damper when it's on one piece damps the springs so no need for elastomer bodges, these are not like other elastomer forks with no damping.

The problem with that plastic cartridge is the seal is friction fit. The plastic heats up and cannot dissipate heat into the leg quickly as gar as I know
This cause the seal to loosen and move and so let oil out. If you can get a later one of same shaft length do so (or a dummy and damper set of different length).

They do tend to pull apart when you pull the legs apart so it may not have been a problem.

Rebuild give it a go and search while riding. Change it later if needed.

would the damper parts from something later like a psylo fit maybe? these have quite a simple wet leg damper system but it works quite well.

Re:

unit3":1x7axfr5 said:
Get the spring kit.
You could use the MCU kit with the spring kit to help cut down on the bounce you can end up with using just springs.

I ordered up a set of springs tonight. I guess I'm still a little lost on how it'll all fit (figure it out when I get them) but I thought the Kronos took the place of the MCU kit? Or do they replace the damper cartridge?

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome :cool:

FluffyChicken":1x7axfr5 said:
The problem with that plastic cartridge is the seal is friction fit. The plastic heats up and cannot dissipate heat into the leg quickly as gar as I know
This cause the seal to loosen and move and so let oil out. If you can get a later one of same shaft length do so (or a dummy and damper set of different length).

They do tend to pull apart when you pull the legs apart so it may not have been a problem.

Rebuild give it a go and search while riding. Change it later if needed.

I'm still trying to find a metal cartridge and will use the spring kit as back up. In the meantime, a LBS gave me some Judy Butter (can this go bad?? It's really dark…thought it was more cow butter in color) to put it all back together. Any other recommended grease for the seals and stanchions?

Re:

The springs replace the MCU as you thought. Forget about that MCU/spring thing, these forks as you know have an oil damper.

Judy butter, at least mine, is a dark brown, hint of green and slightly translucent. From memory as I now use other fork grease.
Everything, seals, bushings etc uses it.

Re:

My comment about the spring/MCU thing was if the damper cartridge was totally shot, it wasn't a bodge, you can use a spring in one side and MCU's in the other if you have enuff good ones, can help cut down the springyness of just springs.

Obviously a replacement/rebuilt damper is the preferred option, or total air kit.

Re:

Surely the return force would all be on one spring then? Since it would leave the other sides stack behind, granted at a slightly slower speed as it would be taking all the force.

Re:

So to clarify, with the springs in do I still need the damper cartridge? If so, then a search for a metal one continues. Unless you all think some heavy grease, new o-rings, and fresh oil will bring the plastic cartridge back to life? By my understanding, the springs will take most of the absorption that otherwise would've been traveled through the MCUs down into the damper. With the springs in, the damper cartridge will put in half (roughly) the work it normally would with MCU combo, correct?

Latest posts

Back