Joe Waugh in PDM colours

marshalllucky

Retro Guru
Recently bought this lovely Joe Waugh 653 in PDM colours . It is in great condition, it has unmarked full chrome rear triangle and forks I haven`t done anything to it yet apart from fit some pedals and adjust the seatpost. I`m hoping to try it over the Bank holiday before I give it a thorough clean up and service as I`ve not had much time lately. It`s got cinelli BB shell and Campag dropouts and a race number lug. Never had a Joe Waugh before so looking forward to getting out on it. It all looks original with full Chorus group set and doesnt appear to have been messed about with and has no signs of rust anywhere. Its quite a distinctive bike, wondered if anyone knows of it or is it likely a `one off` in PDM colours ? Any info, comments welcome .

Attachments

• jwaugh2.jpg
    jwaugh2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 974
  • jwaugh1.jpg
    jwaugh1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 974
Re:

I had a JW some time ago. Loved riding it.

Yours looks great! Forecast is good too this weekend, so add some ride photos! :cool:

Mike

Re:

Its been made by master Dave Yates, so lug filing, alignment and brazing will be spot on.

I've not seen one in that scheme. Usually I see them in two-tone fade. I had a Joe Waugh that was silver to a pale yellow fade. late 80's. Quite nice. It's 53cm top tube was too small for me so i moved it on. Sold it for £140 frame and fork only having bought it for £75. Shame it would've been a keeper because it rode really nice and built into a ballpark 9kg with dura ace 7400/ultegra 600. It was 653 tubing.

Re:

Just an update on the Joe Waugh I bought as only just got round to doing anything with it , I have just given it a service, new chain,cables, bar tape , saddle.I scrubbed the grubby lever hoods with an old toothbrush and washing up liquid and they came up like new :) I also put some better wheels on it, with Mavic hubs and Wolber Profil rims and some cheapy Arisun Rapide tyres ( pleasantly surprised how good they are ). I also put a longer stem on it, the original was a 95mm but I replaced with 110mm to compensate for the frame being slightly too small for me. I would still love to find out about the bike, it was clearly an expensive special order with full chrome rear, race number lug and those delicious PDM colours ( the Joe Waugh insignia on the head tube and down tube are painted on.. not decals ) so must have cost someone a fortune BITD . Maybe if PDM had ridden Joe Waugh`s they may have done a bit better ( sorry Concorde fans ! ).

Attachments

• jw202.jpg
    jw202.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 668
Great looking bike with high end finishing kit- very cool.

I have a Joe Waugh Reynolds 753 and I've not seen a JW with fastback (seatbolt through) stays before. It's very distinctive. I'm not an expert on JW, but not having seen this configuration on his bikes, I'd want to research it more to be sure.

Re:

Hi Thanks for your comment, the fastback stays are not unique, here is a totally random picture of a Joe Waugh with the same configuration ( sorry to whoever owns it I am using the photo for illustrative purposes only ) so I have no reason to suspect its not a JW and I understand possibly built by Dave Yates but yes I would love to know more about the bike`s history as its so distinctive I was hoping someone knew a bit more about it.

Attachments

• joewaughfastback.jpg
    joewaughfastback.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 618
Re:

:D Then it thoroughly checks out- Congrats! The race number and the cabling under the cross-bar all suggest pro rider use!

I'm very impressed with the way my JW rides- they are beautifully constructed as others have commented.

Attachments

• P1090086a.JPG
    P1090086a.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 596
That's a very purple 653 decal in the first pic, I always thought they had a black background? Love the chrome, maybe someone will bring out chroming for carbon :)

Midlife":pgt7fv9o said:
That's a very purple 653 decal in the first pic, I always thought they had a black background? Love the chrome, maybe someone will bring out chroming for carbon :)

Its the first 653 I have had so not sure but following your comment I checked on H LLoyd website who I believe are the official supplier of Reynolds decals and the purple background seems correct for that period. I think it was the same for the early 753 decals they had a slightly purple tinged background also.

Attachments

• 653.jpg
    653.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 586
Back