Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

I hope you have all been enjoying this nice weather we have had for the last couple of days. Work has been pretty busy lately so it was really nice to once again have the sun carry over into the weekend.
I had a few jobs to sort this morning and then after lunch managed to get a few hours out on the Jack Taylor. Stayed fairly local and managed to cross over to Loch Watten staying on all the nice singlelane backroads with no traffic at all. Roads, like everywhere I imagine, are in a pretty rough state but the lovely Super Clubman was the perfect machine for it, just soaks it up with no complaints.
Anyway just thought I would share a few photos. Look forward to the time soon when we can all ride together once again.
Stay safe
Jamie

IMG_5481 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5483 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5486 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5490 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5494 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5504 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5508 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5510 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

I hope you have all been enjoying this nice weather we have had for the last couple of days. Work has been pretty busy lately so it was really nice to once again have the sun carry over into the weekend.
I had a few jobs to sort this morning and then after lunch managed to get a few hours out on the Jack Taylor. Stayed fairly local and managed to cross over to Loch Watten staying on all the nice singlelane backroads with no traffic at all. Roads, like everywhere I imagine, are in a pretty rough state but the lovely Super Clubman was the perfect machine for it, just soaks it up with no complaints.
Anyway just thought I would share a few photos. Look forward to the time soon when we can all ride together once again.
Stay safe
Jamie

IMG_5481 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5483 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5486 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5490 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5494 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5504 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5508 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5510 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr
Beautiful countryside, Traffic free roads , Wonderful.

It's been a while since I last posted but that is my bad posting as the Jack Taylor has been getting used regularly and still sits at the top of my classic loves.
Was out today with Brian on his Cube Hooper for the afternoon revisiting the small singletrack roads from Contin out Loch Luichart and around the hills of the Strathconon estate.
A great autumnal ride, cool, low light and usual for us we were racing the rain and the light to get back. Just sneaks up on you out here at this time of the year especially when the heavy clouds rolled in and accelerated the loss of light.
The roads were very quiet even for out here. We have had a fair amount of rain the last week or so and the roads were really wet so it wasn't too far ahead of us either. The scenery was lovely as usual round this part of the world and made us both thankful once again to have this riding on our doorstep.
The Jack Taylor was a pleasure to ride as always and while even today I was discussing with Brian that I should finish off the build with the nice bits I have for it like headset etc, it just rides so nicely that I come home, clean it. oil it and put it away for the next ride. It works lovely, it fits lovely and I always have a great ride with it. The bling can wait :)

Jamie

Super Clubman Ride Strathconan Nov 2021 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

While I have been riding the Jack Taylor recently, I must admit despite being my favourite ride it was little used during December. Mainly due to the weather, what with gale force winds most weekends, work and also that I had a few rides planned for the cargo bike but thankfully I had four relaxing days off at Christmas and had a wonderful time with the family and also managed to get out riding on all four days. Tuesday I had the bulk of the afternoon to myself and it was a lovely clear, wind free day, though my phone was saying it was minus 1. It was a local ride heading south then west on the back roads and farm tracks leading in a loop for a nice relaxed ride over some familiar roads. Some of the backroads had seen no traffic or sun as they were still very icy in places. There was a few tractors about and I had to very slowly pick my way along about 500metres of road that was about an inch thick in mud and slurry. Thank god for mudguards.
Anyway I just thought I would share some photos.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

While I have been riding the Jack Taylor recently, I must admit despite being my favourite ride it was little used during December. Mainly due to the weather, what with gale force winds most weekends, work and also that I had a few rides planned for the cargo bike but thankfully I had four relaxing days off at Christmas and had a wonderful time with the family and also managed to get out riding on all four days. Tuesday I had the bulk of the afternoon to myself and it was a lovely clear, wind free day, though my phone was saying it was minus 1. It was a local ride heading south then west on the back roads and farm tracks leading in a loop for a nice relaxed ride over some familiar roads. Some of the backroads had seen no traffic or sun as they were still very icy in places. There was a few tractors about and I had to very slowly pick my way along about 500metres of road that was about an inch thick in mud and slurry. Thank god for mudguards.
Anyway I just thought I would share some photos.

Jamie

Cool. Nice to see folk riding old classics, don't see it much... Most folk I pass on country lanes are riding a boring carbon Giant or Spesh.

What was in the pannier sack? 🤔

Always look forwards to the updates on this one Jamie.

Is it reasonably gently rolling around where you live or just where you choose to take your pics?

Cool. Nice to see folk riding old classics, don't see it much... Most folk I pass on country lanes are riding a boring carbon Giant or Spesh.

What was in the pannier sack? 🤔
My trunk bag I swap between a few bikes but generally carries my jacket, pocket tool, gear and brake cable, cable lock and lately my lights. Just in case ;)
I ride my old classics a fair bit, especially I must admit this Jack Taylor. I have a couple of bikes and enjoy them all in their own way but this is pretty much my go to or favourite. Not quite sure why but it is just so nice to ride, very stable but steers quick enough, I have 33mm Jackie Brown tyres at 50psi which handle these tracks and rough backroads superbly and it seems to just fit perfectly and so is very comfortable on long runs. This is also despite it still being run as a bit of a spares box setup. 6 speed Arabesque with a seven speed wheel and cassette, original pre chicken shed XT mech, but it works and works wonderfully so am reluctant to change it until it needs it.

Jamie

Last edited:
Always look forwards to the updates on this one Jamie.

Is it reasonably gently rolling around where you live or just where you choose to take your pics?
Hi Tommy
Pretty much just rolling hills type terrain and about 25 miles west starts to get bigger hills but for here around home and to the east and south it is just rolling.

Jamie

Happy New Year to all retroriders and families. I hope everyone has had a good start to the New Year.
I was busy this morning but then was determined to get out for a ride, and especially on the Jack Taylor. I always like to think if I can start New Years the way I want the year to continue then all's good :)
I headed into Thurso and around a few paths to the harbour and then along the east side thinking I will head round the coast shore and then inland and come out halfway to home on the main road. The path and farm roads were good if still a bit wet from overnight rain but I got to the junction and realised my rear light had died. I sat there and thought, turn right and a mile or so along there is a shop on the edge of town where I could get some batteries or left and a good few miles home on a dark fast country road, no brainer, right and new batteries. Thankful that my phone has my card on it. A bit longer way home than expected but it was was nice and a few miles extra was a bonus :)

Jamie

Back