Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 14

Re: Jack Taylor Super Clubman Barn Find - * small update page 10

What a nice day today!
The weather helps of course and today while maybe just getting to 0 degrees briefly it was sunny for the most part. Not much heat in the sun just now but the change it can make to your attitude is amazing :)
Not that I need the sun to have an amazing attitude, why people tell me all the time 'that's some attitude you've got!' ;)
Anyway, after a chilled morning pottering about I thought the roads are dry so time to get out for a lockdown ride on the Jack Taylor.
As mentioned before it is getting harder and harder to find varied routes close to home now that we have been at this for a while.
But I thought I would do my usual coast route and head inland coming back to the coast if time and head out toward Dunnet Head.
I had planned to cut through a couple of the woods, hoping they would be passable, especially as it hasn't warmed much the last few days so the ground might still be frozen but that might mean it is ice anyway. Really wanted to see as there is one part where the old slate works was that is so overgrown that in summer you can't get to certain sections as they are so overgrown and one particular walled off section that most people have no idea is there as it is hidden away by trees and thick overgrowth. The winter sometimes exposes the paths that the deer use to move between these areas and that with the die back in growth means you can get to them. One of these walled areas has a door that is completely obscured for about 11 months of the year. It's only a very small area with the door maybe 60 metres off the main track but I like that it is hidden from most people, I like to stop and have a snack and drink there as it is so peaceful. There were two small Roe deer in there today.
So I ended up tacking the various tracks and trails through the wood taking a few photos as the light was really nice, not that they ever come out how I see it when I look back, but near enough.
I spent quite a while traversing through this wood so when I came out I decided just to cruise round the backroads and a couple of dirt roads and head back towards home. I must admit I was a bit surprised, and disappointed when going past the western end of Dunnet beach as the carpark was full with three vans set up having a BBQ fire with everyone sitting around it, horse floats everywhere, just crazy, so much for stay at home except for exercise and don't drive anywhere just exercise from home.
Home it was to then get the pizza oven sorted and split some hardwood and then to fire her up for some of Heathers fabulous pizza for dinner. Lovely mmmm!
Then while sitting eating the pizza I look outside and it is now snowing! Crazy times indeed :)

Jamie

IMG_4890 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4894 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4896 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4899 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4923 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4921 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4931 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4940 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

The other side of the wall
IMG_4950 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4955 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4965 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4974 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_4978 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

pizza by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Jack Brown Mile Muncher tyres? How do they handle the mud?

Tommy, they are really good off road. About 50% of it's use is off road, though sympathetically, not gravel grinding at any stretch but as you can see it doesn't get babied, and these tyres are really good on the rough stuff. I think it is down to the slightly higher volume and the supple sidewalls that give it such a supple compliance that they soak everything up. At first I thought these might be a bit too 'giving' in the sidewall for the tracks etc but have really impressed me. On the mud they seem just as good, though obviously the tread limits the traction pretty early on. The mud we rode on the couple of rides back with the Highland Classic group was pretty heavy going in places and while you had to ride to the conditions and the bike the only issue I had was when I lost the front on a sideways sloping descent and I touched a brake when I knew I shouldn't, also I was clipped in, not wise but shows how confident these tyres are.

Jamie

Re:

That's good news, since I recently brought a pair for my winter/ commuting wheels on your previous recommendation.

Do they expand overtime, since they seem to sit quite slim on my open pro rims right now?

I think to be fair Jan Heine has done a lot to push the idea of subtle tyres back to the forefront (along with 650b wheels). However it's good to know you can get a decent, subtle pair for less than a single René Herse tyre, although once you add Vat on (which planet x don't seem to on the website) its a little bit more than website suggests. That said the Challange Strada Bianca I keep for best outrides anything I've owned but tubs and the RH tires I've ridden felt even better. But for commuting, rough stuff and winter it sounds like the Planet Rivendells are going to be a very decent tyre.

Wonderful pics and scenery as usual Jamie!

Yeah, I should of mentioned that too! Always look forward to your pics Jamie, particularly ones like this with not a sole around that look like they should be in the rough stuff archive!

Isn't this exactly what a JT was built for. Lovely photographs, what's your camera? JT himself rated Leicas ( who doesn't) but you can get a decent bike for the price of one of those.
Another JT (or two) or a Leica - tricky.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
My wife is the photographer and I am the see a nice backdrop, point and shoot type guy. These are just taken on my iPhone 6.

Jamie

Re:

Really enjoying this thread and watching the similar posts on the Facebook JT owners page. Thanks for sharing. I’m a Stockton lad with a fair collection of British machines but so far only a JT tandem frame, not a whole single, which was the aim from the outset. Very happy to have it, nonetheless. A barn find resto’ would be a great project for me now and would give me the impetus to sell off some of the uncompleted projects that I know I’ll never get round to!

What a difference a day makes!
Yesterdays ride with my little man on the Flying Scot tandem was cold and pretty bleak for the most part, and then todays ride was in lovely sunshine, though still cold, and to balance it, a pretty strong gusting wind, about 30mph. Today though it was the Super Clubman, the nicest, sweetest ride.
Decided after heading into town yesterday I would head up towards Dunnet Head taking in some nice quiet backroads as well as some of the nice hidden tracks. These are usually no problem for the Jack Taylor when taken with respect but today, while not a real problem were awfully boggy and wet.
Then I turned to head back into the mother of all head winds. I knew it was bad when at the top of Dunnet Head the bike is almost laid over in one of the photos otherwise the wind just flipped it completely over every time I stood back to take a photo.
It was a long slog into it all the way home but still worth it. Tonnes of wildlife about, including a Kite, Buzzards and the usual couple of dozen seals. Early days but Kittywakes and others starting to fill the cliffs. Then it was home to pizza with the family! Lovely day
I am lucky to have these rides on my doorstep especially during lockdown.

Jamie

IMG_5107 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5109 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5110 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5118 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5150 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5153 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5160 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5167 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5168 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_5172 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Back