Is this frame made by Orange Bikes, or Marin??

lefty.rosenthal

Retro Newbie
I bought this frame on eBay thinking it was a 1995 Marin Indian Fire Trail, as advertised.

After close inspection, I believe it could be made by Orange Bikes.

The first clue is the cable stops on the top tube. My frame has 3 stops on the top tube (drive-side) and 0 on the bottom tube. Marin has made no such frame with 3 cable stops on the top tube. They usually have 1 on the down tube.

The second clue is the serial number. The first 4 characters "A309". This means it was manufactured by A-Pro in Taiwan in the year 1993, and the month of September? An argument against it being a Marin is Marin serials do not start with an "A".

A third clue is the rear dropouts and rear derailleur. It is similar in design to an Aluminium Elite. Strangely enough, they are similar to a Fire Trail as well.

At first I thought it was a 1993 Aluminium Elite, but images of Elites I've seen have 3 cable stops on the upper top tube and not the drive-side.

One thing that's bizarre is the beefy bottom tube. Orange Bikes from the 90's don't exhibit such thick bottom tubes. However, the Indian Fire Trail has a beefy bottom tube similar to my frame.

Do I have an Orange frame? If yes, why is it that I can't find images of my frame anywhere on the web, including the Orange Bike catalogs on this site.

I find it so strange my frame shares characteristics from both Marin and Orange.

JSENCtBh.jpg

OwD8G93h.jpg

s5cwZouh.jpg

SzjXwAlh.jpg

0bret7uh.jpg

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A very generic far east frame badged by loads of companies. Nothing special but nothing bad either. Builds into a perfectly usable bicycle.

Oranges of this era have wishbone rear ends and/ or flat oval stays and I'm sure 1 1/4 head tubes too.

james1985

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm pretty sure its the same frame as my 93 Merlin. looks very familiar. Will try and get some photos later as its in the loft.

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
james1985":3s6gu67u said:
I'm pretty sure its the same frame as my 93 Merlin. looks very familiar.......

Yeah, for a while I was thinking that it may be an Ormskirk Merlin. My (now decommissioned) 1996 M.A.L.T. II has a serial number AT6K01094, with a 27.2mm Seat Post and a 31.8mm Seat Tube.

The Gear Hanger is different on the frame above, but other features are similar, such as the cable routing and the Rear Canti Bridge.

Crikey, until I dug out this picture, I had forgotten that I had blinged mine up so much :shock: .

Merlin DS Hi by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip.

Pipmeister

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

Cheers - Looking back at the picture this morning, I was thinking that perhaps it was a little too much, but when you start fitting out a frame with red anodised components, you just can't seem to stop ;) .
Wheels:
Rear: Mavic 517 Red on Hope Ti Glide Red c/w DT Revolution 2/1.7mm & Red Alloy Nipples.
Front: Mavic 517 Red on Hope Suspension Ti Red c/w DT Revolution 2/1.7mm & Red Alloy Nipples.
(Built by Merlin Cycles)

Pip

james1985

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re: Re:

pipmeister":sjyyz97q said:
Cheers - Looking back at the picture this morning, I was thinking that perhaps it was a little too much, but when you start fitting out a frame with red anodised components, you just can't seem to stop ;) .
Wheels:
Rear: Mavic 517 Red on Hope Ti Glide Red c/w DT Revolution 2/1.7mm & Red Alloy Nipples.
Front: Mavic 517 Red on Hope Suspension Ti Red c/w DT Revolution 2/1.7mm & Red Alloy Nipples.
(Built by Merlin Cycles)

Pip

I have never seen red 517's before. Nice.
Funny that, today I fitted a spare set of Ti Glides and 517's to my Offroad.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Re: Re:

james1985":2a0aw3nn said:
I have never seen red 517's before. Nice.
Funny that, today I fitted a spare set of Ti Glides and 517's to my Offroad.

My disc versions. (Rampage on here ano'd the spiders for me)

Attachments

• Rampages Hope re-ano 002 (Custom).JPG
    Rampages Hope re-ano 002 (Custom).JPG
    135 KB · Views: 361

lefty.rosenthal

Retro Newbie
Thanks for the much needed info pipmeister! Gorgeous chariot of a bike you have there. I'm disappointed my frame ended up not being an Orange, but after seeing your Merlin, the frame has potential. Cheers!