Internal Frame Coating

Tranquility Base

Devout Dirtbag
I'm building up a Planet X Kaffenback and can't find a supplier of a Waxoyl type internal frame protector (in a can not professionally applied).
Can anyone help?

18Bikes in Hope have a can of 'framesaver' which is pretty lethal smelling stuff and cost me £12 inc postage next day.

Mercian (the frame builders) sell specific cans of internal frame protectant. Alternatively use linseed oil from a diy shop.

Go to 1 of those motorcycle shops ,you'll get it there , thick and cheap
(A bit like your average biker)

thrustyjust":36riu0db said:
18Bikes in Hope have a can of 'framesaver' which is pretty lethal smelling stuff and cost me £12 inc postage next day.

That's Weigle Framesaver. It was developed especially for the job of protecting steel bikes by a frame builder. It's supposed to be very effective but also very nasty - wear old clothes and latex gloves, a freshly unsealed disposeable filtration mask, gloves and goggles nasty! It now costs £20 - £12 for the can and £8 for the courier, because the Post Office have banned it...

I note, some people say, you can make a "frame preserver" by using Linseed Oil. They said Frame Saver has that in it but I don't know about that. They may mix it with paint thinner.

Note this page: http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Linseed_oil

"Linseed oil, also known as flax seed oil or simply flax oil, is a clear to yellowish drying oil.

..."

etc. but under uses:

"•.... maintenance as a thread fixative, rust inhibitor and lubricant"

It also says that even if you have rags with it in an enclosed container they can have spontaneous combustion. Something to be careful of.

can you not just use wax oil or dinitrol?

both car under-body waxes but I would of thought they would do the same thing?

Back