Improving the climbing gears on my Roberts

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have reached 50 and still be able to ride a bike is a blessing some don't get, however, cycling in Dorset means the inevitable hills.

I want to try and 'tweak' my set up to give me a little breathing space on the hills. My current set up is

Dura ace 53/39 cranks, 11-28 9 speed cassette. Ultegra 6500 rear mech (max teeth )
Friction shifters which will soon be replaced with Dura-ace 9 speed indexed.

What's the easiest way if possible to give me a little more help on the steepest hills ?

I like the set up so don't really fancy changing the front/cranks and a 11-30 or 11-32 cassette would mean a change of rear derailleur.

Any ideas ?

Long cage derailleur or MTB ?

Last edited:
If running 9 speed, then a larger cassette and MTB or long cage rear mech should be all you need. Maybe a longer chain too

Do you use the 53-11 gear?

You could get a roadlink (or the Sunrace version for cheaper) and just change casette, chain and if you exceed the chain wrap for your mech you could use a smaller large chainring.

Im using 46-35 at the front and honestly I now use all gears pretty evenly.

Do you use the 53-11 gear?

You could get a roadlink (or the Sunrace version for cheaper) and just change casette, chain and if you exceed the chain wrap for your mech you could use a smaller large chainring.

Im using 46-35 at the front and honestly I now use all gears pretty evenly.
You'll get similar (and slightly lower) switching to a 12 (or 13) - 32 cassette

OP
In so gaining the extra in between gear you loose with an 11-32 cassette over a 11-28
And could also drop the 39 lower if its only used for breathing space.

Or and Electric motor assist wheel ;-)

I use the 53/11 a fair bit, I am more often than not in the big ring on the last few cogs on the back as there are lots of flat sections where I ride.

Then when it gets a little hilly I use the one hand and drop from the big ring and a couple on the rear which suits.

A new cassette like11-32 is cheap enough.

Just finding a long cage rear derailleur that suits the look of the bike 🤔🤔

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Shimano road mechs are available in long cage... I think so, but availability might be an issue. But a 7/8/9 speed mtb mech should work ok. @legrandefromage is the expert in compatibility.... But depending on the groupset, something like a deore DX rear might not look too out of place

Thanks, I thought there was an Ultegra long cage GS ? one but can't seem to find any info.

Would be happy with a MTB one as long as it's not a newer plastic on, and a little change of aesthetics is better than needing new knees.

Off to check my parts bin 👍

Last edited:
Problem with long cage road mechs of the sort of x400 and x500 era is that they (usually) use the same body and top jockey geometry, so you only gain wrap capacity, not sprocket size. So you could go triple, but not use a larger cassette. 6500 GS is one of those!
On the other hand, shimano are quite generous with their limits, so you could probably (with care and a longer chain) use a 12 or 13-30 cassette on your current set up.

Back