I found my mojo this winter!

Madmax1993

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Last year I didn't get out on the bike as much as I would have liked, until October. I procured a decent front light and a long coveted frame (2009 Orange Five). This led to a series of 'firsts' for me which have boosted my confidence and desire to get out on my bikes far more.
Firstly, I went for a ride after a day at work. Until then, I only went cycling on my days off, or for the commute. Breaking that barrier of assuming I would be too tired, or that there's not enough time in the evening will allow me to be out far more in the future.
Secondly, that post work ride was in winter, in the dark, so my first ever night ride. The success of that ride tells me that even in winter, when we don't get much daylight, you can still go out to play on bikes.
Due to acquiring a new 29er that I want to get the use of, I've pushed myself to go out in different conditions that I would previously have shied away from, like rain and cold. So if I can push myself to go out in the rough weather, it should be easy to go out in the better weather in spring/summer.
The last 'first' (so far) happened yesterday, when I went for a solo ride: something I haven't done in a very long time (maybe ever). I prefer the safety, companionship and a little friendly competition that comes with riding with others. However, it's not always possible to get a riding buddy to come out, so on those days I typically don't go out. Yesterday, I really wanted to play in the snow, but had no-one to go with, so I went by myself, on some local trails, and had a fun afternoon.
I guess the point is that I'm proud that I've pushed past lethargy and laziness, and beyond the comfort zone to grow as a rider, and I probably wouldn't have done it if it hadn't been for the shake up of my bike stable. I feel that I have reached cycling nirvana with my full suss trail bike, my hardtail 29er, my jump bike, my road bike and a work-in-progress bikepacking/trekking bike. I finally feel that I have just the right bikes and I can't see myself replacing them anytime soon. Even the upgrades that I (and probably most others on here) make to my bikes are mostly done. I've run out of major spec changes to make and now the mods and parts I want to get are much smaller and inconsequential, like a nicer stem here or there.

Re:

I love riding in the winter (when it's not absolutely chucking it down). Started night rides a couple of years ago and got addicted to them. Even the trails I ride 3 times a week seem so different in the dark. As for snow that's my favourite riding of all. Was gutted this week as suffered a back injury so was unable to ride in it but last year's 'beast from the east' provided much riding pleasure.

glad to hear you've found your winter riding enthusiasm.

Attachments

• saracen snow.jpg
    saracen snow.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 666
  • giant snow.jpg
    giant snow.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 666
Snow riding is definitely my favourite. From icy challenges on level ground to the additional drag on steep descents it's a lot of fun.

Welcome to the night riding party.

Something extra enjoyable about cycling in winter.

Maybe the way it's only the complete nutters who are out so it's very quiet. Little sounds and everything clean looking.

Re: winter aye aye

I love it. Recently made a move to within spitting distance, of one of the lesser utilised 7 stanes trails, after much drama and a stolen Bronson in Edinburgh.

I rode to Engand last Thursday, in -12 freezing fog. Followed a little fox's tracks all the way to the Border from the trailhead. Fire road all the way, still, was one of the best days on the bike, ever. Simple things...

Attachments

• IMG_1886.JPG
    IMG_1886.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 628
Trialsmeister":2c612sg2 said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/downlo ... ?id=447019

What a picture Martin, by the way... Awesome atmosphere.

Mike

Thanks Mike. There are some good things about Cornwall. That's one of my local trails. Usually ride it at least twice a week as it's only about 15 miles round. That section is actually the part that leads to The Eden Project.

My other local trail is literally 1/4 mile from my house

Attachments

• goss trail snow.jpg
    goss trail snow.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 570
Back