How do you carry spare disk brake pads?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
I'm relatively new to disk brakes, and I always like to carry a set of spare pads when I am out with the bike. If any of you also carry spare pads, how do you do it? Mine are Shimano, and the original packaging is huge so I can't carry them there. Is it ok to carry them without packaging (so they might get in contact with the other tools or with each other)? Are they not as sensitive to contamination as the rotors are? I saw an article about tools to bring along on bikepacking.com and most seemed to carry just the pads attached to each other with a rubber band...

I use old 35mm film canisters or small puncture repair boxes. Found that the top tabs ripped ziplocks too easily.

I leave mine in the original pack, in the car or at home.
I've never needed some on the trail in 20 plus years of riding with disc brakes.
An honest question (not criticism); what are you expecting to happen?

I leave mine in the original pack, in the car or at home.
I've never needed some on the trail in 20 plus years of riding with disc brakes.
Exactly what it was thinking

Only time I've taken spares was on a 120km marathon event in the pouring rain.
Didn't need them.
Properly bedded in pads should last hundreds of km

Not expecting anything in particular, but I know I'm lazy and I won't be checking the wear on my pads until it's too late. .Since disk pads are so small and there's plenty of room in my toolbag, I thought better to carry a spare set with me instead of checking from time to time, which for sure I'll forget to do.

If you need to swap out worn pads on the trails you'll also need a tool to push the pistons back in first as nice and thick new pads won't simply slot back in.

Back