Hope Evo fitting issues

sandgrown

Retro Newbie
Hi there everyone,
I'm attempting to fit an Evo crank to my Cotic BfeMax and it has a massive gap between the cranks and bb. It has a 73mm bottom bracket shell with a boost148x12 rear hub. I'm wondering what I've done wrong, have I bought the wrong cranks or bb? I though I'd bought correctly based on info I'd read on the respective websites.
Thank you for your help in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 28
Assuming the axle is all the way inserted (tap it with a rubber mallet) then yes that looks incorrect.

I know Hope do these in fat bike widths , super post and a whole host others.

Just googled quickly and I bet that’s a 83mm crankset. Is the gap 10mm?
It is about that yes. I've measured the axle width and it does appear to be 133.5mm long and it is labelled on the box as 68/73mm. Have I been sent the wrong crankset then?

I’m gonna guess so yes. Hard to say without seeing it in person and refitting it myself but these modern cranks are pretty foolproof. Are the cranks not stamped anywhere ? Size? How wide it the centre axle - not splines or anything else. Just the axle which goes through the BB. As logic would say it should be 73mm plus the BB.

You also seem to have quite a few spacers on the BB? Is that because it has to be spaced from 83mm down on the Hope?

The axle is about 114mm wide not counting the splines. It's HC108-04 machined on the crank arm, but nothing on the axle that I can see. I had tried to add spacers in the hope that it would work and space it out correctly. I have emailed Hope, but got an automated response saying no one is there until 04/01

Hurry up, that looks a nice built and could enter in December BotM ;)

It should be easy, the right crank with the chain ring should go next to the BB and the other crank, the left, should close the gap when you tight the screw. You can always go to a shop, but the intructions included should solve all the doubts.

Last edited:
Looks like you may have the axle for 83 bb's. Here is a diagram with axle lengths, if you take the arm off and measure the axle it looks like it will add the extra 15mm.

hc1.jpg

Back