Help / Opinions needed

munkey_bwy

Retro Guru
Hi Folks,

My father passed away a week ago, but due to Covid and him being an ex-pat i hadn't seen him for several years now. So to commemorate him i want to do a build. It will be a simple one but there are a few specifics that i should keep to.
As my father was a very quiet Yorkshireman i want to due a very understated build based around a frame fabricated in Yorkshire and preferably from steel (British is possible).
My father was not a big liker of technology so no flash parts. Simple, functional and from gods own country is the order of the day

So my thoughts to start with and you guys can put me right / help me with dates and propose other options:-
Frame
Orange Clockwork (was it made in the UK though? or to which date were they made in the UK).
Orange P7 (As the clockwork)
Orange C16R (As the clockwork)
Pace (All modern steel frames - He wouldn't go for the glamness of the retro or modern alu frames).
I would love a Dave Yates for him but alas they were made in both counties north and south of Yorkshire.

Forks
Classic Orange forks of the era for an Orange frame
Pace RC30 (But i hate to say it, they are a bit bling)
Pace RC35 if i wanted to go suspension up front.

Stem
Orange Stalk
Orange SK8

Bars
Orange hot rod
Pace Sub 130

Hubs
Pace front and rear
Or Hope as they are just over the border.

Rims
Not a clue

Seat post
Not a clue

Drive train
Just something functional, highest level would have to be XT and i think i would run it 1x as it is simple to operate.

Brakes
Magura HS's (As they are easy to set up and operate)
Unless i go disk and they would be Clarks or Hope.

Now for your thoughts guys. Please enjoy.

Or keep an eye out for a Bob Jackson MTB frame? Probably as likely to find one of those as a made in the UK Orange.

Lovely idea though, good luck.

Thanks Rod, I would like a Bob Jackson but I think he would find the custom side a bit frivolous. But it is a Good call.

Well.....I also support building British if you can. This can make things expensive but not frivolous or boutique. For years I used Oranges. And I mean years. I rode Halifax’s finest for nearly 3 decades, although indeed their frames were torched outside the UK after the early Tushinghams and then some of the STRANGE prototypes. So I did thousands of miles on my various Halifax-designed bikes...and then around five years ago built something for my 10-year-old son and got back into serious building. And boy how things have moved on....so now our stable is mainly British, but with very modern geometry. Very modern. See my 2021 Cotic BfEMax review. My advice would be to build using the new geometry. The leap in performance is stratospheric, and plenty of UK manufacturing comes into play. You will get longevity in the build. Stanton are truly excellent and each model a long standing classic. I am only 5-7 tall, but have become a 29 advocate. I ride 26 and 27.5 too, but a well designed 29er is stunning.

Frames actually built in the UK: Stanton steel UK frames (which is most of them), Shand, Atherton, some Orange, some Cotic, some Pace. There are then many small producers, but they fall into your ‘too frivolous’ category. Given your requirements I would go straight to Stanton as a choice. Many available, and just wonderful bikes (I have two).

Then....

Hope: headsets, chainrings, seatposts, brakes, cranksets, stems, pedals, hubs, cassette 40T rings; mech jockey wheels (Lancashire made)
DMR: grips, saddle (although not sure of origin)
USE: stems, seatposts, bars (although not sure of origin of all parts)
Renthal: chainrings, bars, grips (manufacturing in Manchester)

This leaves forks, rear mech and rims, spokes and tyres. These have to be foreign made, regrettably, as far as I know.

You could go single speed, that could be all British, and you could use rigid forks - Enigma could make you some Ti ones, or some cheaper steel ones could be made up by many fabricators.

A new geometry UK steel Stanton would be a wonderful thing, in 27.5 or 29.

Sorry to hear about your father.

I think its a nice gesture, though a tall order but will be worth it in the long run. Didnt @Peachy! do a Yorkshire themed build, or similar!? the Pace if memory serves me, and had some Yorkshire themed decals made up for it.

Anyway, i look forward to seeing it come together.

Happy to help with artwork if you need owt..

My two peneth? Orange if you want a retro steed, or an 853 tubed Pace if you want something steel but bang up to date. 6700C26B-0FCB-4082-BD1D-322CC2F5DC1A.jpeg 5416CEAA-1FD9-43D1-BE32-6D99F1585D96.jpeg

Last edited:
Many condolences for your loss.

X-Lite was a solid British firm that made many components and are usually reasonably priced, definitely worth a look.

Nice gesture to your father, good on you. Are you trying to build something up for 26" wheels or are you OK with the latest sizes? I have a newish Pace 627 (27.5 wheels) in matt grey with silver Hope bits on it. I would say it's understated, but not stealth. Oh, it's incredibly good to ride....
I also have an On-One but it's obviously not welded in Sheffield
I can't think what else is Yorkshire. But I'm still unsure if you're wanting to go retro or not?

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your kind wishes.
Everybody's comments are great. Many on the same lines as my own.
I was on holiday last week but stumbled on something and bought it. It should pick it up from my office tomorrow.
I bought an Orbit mtb frame and forks, i think it could be early enough to have been brazed in Sheffield. I have had one in the past which unfortunately i sold on as it was that little bit too small, this one should fit nicely. I have been mulling over paint schemes etc in my time off. So updates to come.

Back