Help me decode Weinmann Brakes. Now with Pics!

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Hello again! Weinmann side pull brakes. Do the different names mean anything or are they just names?

For example, would a Type 810 have a deeper reach than a Type 730?

The back brake on my Moulton rebuild doesn't look like it could ever have got the blocks on to the rim!

Thanks.

Re: Help me decode Weinmann Brakes.

Yes, you're correct in thinking that the higher the number, the longer the reach. Weinmann callipers started at 500 (maybe less) and went all the way up to 1000+ for BMX fittings. Unfortunately, higher numbered callipers were made of cheese and were so flexible that they were effectively useless when used on the rear.

foaf":2jioyz4o said:
Yes, you're correct in thinking that the higher the number, the longer the reach. Weinmann callipers started at 500 (maybe less) and went all the way up to 1000+ for BMX fittings. Unfortunately, higher numbered callipers were made of cheese and were so flexible that they were effectively useless when used on the rear.

Cheers foaf. I will take a photo later to aid my Wanted Ad.

By the way, are we talking a hard cheese or a soft one?

I have completed a few Moulton restorations/conversions over the years. If you have any particular requirements or questions I'll be happy to try to help.

Iwasgoodonce":3fr4oc3n said:
foaf":3fr4oc3n said:

Cheers foaf. I will take a photo later to aid my Wanted Ad.

By the way, are we talking a hard cheese or a soft one?

From memory, the BMX ones had little right-angle brackets that connected to the brake block bolts, the brackets were rubber coated and effectively pressed against the seatstays / frame when the back brake was used, thus reducing the flex.

So in that instance, probably burger slice cheese.

Weinmann did a very small 400 series but only ever came across a couple BITD as the 500's fitted TT bikes and were dirt cheap (£8.50 a pair rings a bell)

The longer callipers were more like fromage frais than cheese LOL

Shaun

Here is a picture of a Weinmann 730 in situ. It isn't the original brake which is slightly longer and of a chromed steel nature. I have put this in so people can advise as to which size I need.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 514
47p2":6mp6dle4 said:
Are the wheels the correct size for the frame?

I think so although the only history I have is from when I saw it thrown away and ready for the scrap metal men.

It is a new rim. I replaced a 16 3/8 rim with one the same size. The new spokes came to within 1mm of the old ones. Also, going by the mudguards, it is the right size.

Do we think an 810?

Back