Help! KHS Team ST rear shock removal

moonlite

Kona Fan
Does anyone have any experience or know-how about KHS softtails? I have a rather battered 1999 Team ST which I want to return to working order, but have stalled at removing the rear shock (photo below).

I've read that the elastomer can be replaced with one from a USE suspension seatpost, but before that can happen the shock needs to come off the bike and receive a thorough clean and lube.

So far I've removed the upper pivot bolt and the two bolts from the rear triangle. Bearing in mind that the rear triangle relies on flexy chainstays rather than a pivot point to work, it's not really possible to pull the two shock mounting points very far apart. I've undone the knurled ring and tried some firm-but-gentle tugging, but so far the shock seems to be stuck in place.

Do I need to remove the big circlip? I've tested it a bit gingerly as I don't want it to fly off into some inaccessible corner, and I certainly don't want to damage it.

There doesn't seem to be anything online about removing/servicing this shock -- even on the KHS website. Lots of online discussion about elastomer replacements but not on how to actually insert one!

All rather frustrating -- any tips would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5379-3.jpg
    IMG_5379-3.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5379-2.jpg
    IMG_5379-2.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6192.jpg
    IMG_6192.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5388-3.jpg
    IMG_5388-3.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 9
If I were to guess, I'd say you need to unscrew the knurled ring which might then allow you to take the top section off. Risse air shocks have the same style ring as did early fox shox.

Hi Ishaw -- it's a good tip -- I have rather gingerly undone the ring but still can't pull the two halves sufficiently apart. It's difficult to see what exactly is holding the bottom half to the rear triangle.

I'll give it another go though.

Could you spread open the circlip enough to slide it up the shaft. Then push the the shaft down into the seat stay mount. Maybe gain enough clearance to remove the upper part of the shock?

Could you spread open the circlip enough to slide it up the shaft. Then push the the shaft down into the seat stay mount. Maybe gain enough clearance to remove the upper part of the shock?
Thanks Motomax -- that's a good idea. I'll have a go (bike is stashed away for the moment due to a lack of workspace).

Back