Head tube reducers

Double-E F

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Would you expect that using heat tube reducers (1 1/4" > 1 1/8") affects (positively or negatively) the chances of that head tube cracking, let's say for a '94 Yeti ARC that is not ridden vigorously?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Does it not just simply make your headset thicker? I think it just reinforces the lot.

Shouldn't make any difference. (Simplified) a 1 1/4 cup is a 37.00mm shaft diameter, going into a 37.00mm headtube bore.
A smaller cup with an adaptor should still result in a shaft diameter of 37.00mm pressing into your frame.

If we were to split hairs and consider the minutiae of "tolerance stacks", you could double-stack a cup at highest tolerance, and an adaptor at biggest tolerance and end up with a ++ tolerance on the overall. But providing you measure it and it's not oversize, you should be fine.

In terms of "reinforcement" that I think you're hoping for, most adaptors I have seen are shallower than the headset cups that press into them, resulting in less distribution of load, not greater.

If we look at it another way, I know sometimes our backs are against the wall, but when there are parts available that are the right size, why would they not be chosen and preference given to adaptors?

Back