Half dead bird! Swallow ptarmigan (re model...page 7 on)

I don't usually like mtbs from this era, but I have to admit I really do like this one. Good job, and nice choice of kit to boot

Re:

Absolutely beautiful, that is a bicycle I would love to own and ride, reminds me of my Thorn Nomad a bit.

RBG

If you go down to the woods today.....

After some delay, i've finally managed to find time and a dry / warm enough day for a good test ride, as other than a few miles around the block for a shake down, its not been out. I reserve freeing mud bath batterings for my poor much put upon Maxlight!

I still haven't been far, it was only a 15 mile blast, about half on roads (well we call call them roads here - most have grass in the middle), 4 miles of farm tracks and 3 ish on the dirt. So a good mix. We don't have hills, so its fast xc all the way......which has been the story of my life really.

I had some initial reservations over the geometry, see above, but it actually handles in a very civilised manner. The long chain stays make it very stable, but this is tied to a big fork offset that keeps trail down and the steering sharp. Its certainly not a wheelie machine and it might get challenging up steep climbs......but im in east anglia so thats never happening !

Im not sure about the mythos tyres, I've never ridden them before (£20 for 2 pairs in a bike shop clear out when Amberwall were no longer trendy). I've always favoured smokes......the cornering, especially at speed seems vague..i don't know if that's other peoples experience?

The biggest positive of today is that its a super comfortable position, i could probably do touring on it! The 531 tubeset does just what steels best at, with just enough flex and absorbency to make for a relaxing ride. Coming from my oversize aluminium Easton tubed bike its like putting on slippers after clogs.....ok its 4kg heavier....but so am i after Christmas!

The biggest annoyance was that my old sheet of paint protection film has lost its stick; by mile 10 it sounded like a playing card in the spokes at it joyfully played against the tyre blocks.

But ive got to say, overall fantastic. I take my hat off to peter and robert for building a super bike, very well suited to its envionment and im proud I've played my part in saving it for hopefully another 34 years.

Be safe out there

Attachments

• 20210129_161650.jpg
    20210129_161650.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 104
Re:

looks cool mate you have done it proud.

You ware currently running two front tyres, which maybe why you feel the handling like it is, I'm running the same tyres on the £500 Bontrager, with a rear specific tyre they are pretty good i find.

Cheers. Its the front that feels like its about to wash, i might put my marin wheel in the front thats on a smoke and see.

Do you find the mythos tyres are particularly pressure sensitive? Maybe im running a bit too hard .

Tootyred":2fv2hzl6 said:
Cheers. Its the front that feels like its about to wash, i might put my marin wheel in the front thats on a smoke and see.

Do you find the mythos tyres are particularly pressure sensitive? Maybe im running a bit too hard .

Is it a narrow tyre on a wider rim...? Perhaps try the smoke especially if its bigger than the IRC, i should think it would make the world of difference.

Re:

The smokes are within 5mm the same size and the rims only 3mm bigger than my 261s . Might just shove the tyres on the existing rims to see what the actual difference is.

But, hey, lets not get bogged down in the minutiae; im loving it all the same.

Just a quick follow up. After much riding over the last month or so, i decided i cant live with the shiny chrome tioga prestige tbone. Its just too shiny.

So ive sprayed myself up a 150mm stem (think its from a 87 dawes originally). Just fitted it and i think it looks better.

Only problem is, after blanking it out tape, i now think the seatpost needs to be black too.😂. Oh well.....theres paint still left in the tin luckily.......more black snot for a day or two!

Attachments

• 20210425_120255.jpg
    20210425_120255.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 19
Back