GT Xizang - a new chapter - Build Completed! :)

I'm happy to tell that the Xizang build has been completed! :) Really happy with this and I think it turned out better than the first one that I had.

The build is not a 'Juli Furtado replica' even though it's heavily inspired by Team GT setup BITD. If one compares this to the setups that Juli used to race on 1996 season, the differences are: 1) saddle: Flite instead of San Marco (got that kind of saddle too but I think it's ugly), 2) headset: King instead of Cane Creek, 3) FD: XTR M950 top-swing instead of M910 down-swing and 4) pedals: M747 instead of M737. And of course the brakes are an improved M951 versions instead of M950 ones.

The spec goes like this:
Frame: 1996 GT Xizang Titanium, size 18"
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
Fork: 1996 Rock Shox Judy SL with SRP Speed Springs upgrade
Stem: Kore Elite 120mm
Handlebar: Azonic O'Neal WorldForce
Grips: Onza Ules
Bar ends: Onza CWA
Shifters: Shimano XTR STI M951
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M950
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M950
Cassette: Shimano XTR M950 12-32
Chain: Shimano IG-90
Crankset: Shimano XTR M950
Pedals: Shimano SPD M747
Hubs: Shimano XTR M950
Skewers: Shimano XTR M950
Rims: Mavic 217 Ceramic
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution with DT Squorx nipples
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper Sprint Kevlar
Tubes: Schwalbe XX14A
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR STI M951
Brakes: Shimano XTR M951
Cables: Shimano XTR
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Shimano XTR M910

IMG-7267.jpg

Last edited:
A great build only thing I would swap would be a black xtr post or kore one

Am currently mid build of a 91 Xizang good too see there are a few about still loved

A great build only thing I would swap would be a black xtr post or kore one

Am currently mid build of a 91 Xizang good too see there are a few about still loved
Thanks mate, I do have a black XTR M900 post as well as an option. That surely would fit the looks better to match black stem & bar.
Had a Kore Elite one for the Zaskar but sold it together with the frame. Those are pretty rare nowadays so perhaps it was a bad decision...

I've been following your build thread too. Would have preferred a 1991-92 version with U-brake in the rear so I could have built it with XTR M900 + RS Mag 20 but one cannot be too picky... ;)

Thanks mate, I do have a black XTR M900 post as well as an option. That surely would fit the looks better to match black stem & bar.
Had a Kore Elite one for the Zaskar but sold it together with the frame. Those are pretty rare nowadays so perhaps it was a bad decision...

I've been following your build thread too. Would have preferred a 1991-92 version with U-brake in the rear so I could have built it with XTR M900 + RS Mag 20 but one cannot be too picky... ;)
Am sure one of the early ones will turn up soon there are always a few that come up now n then, I was just lucky to log on too this site when I did and managed too get it bought.

No matter what year any Xizang frame is special it’s a premium frame set we all listed after when we were kids, and still do now

Now that is lovely!

Congrats on the build. Considering there's quite a lot going on, it all looks surprisingly minimalist and sleek.

Looks fast and cool as f**k, too.

Back