GT Xizang - a new chapter - Build Completed! :)

Archangel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I had a lovely GT Xizang some 12 years ago (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mp;t=35960) but then came a moment that the Mrs. demanded that I must thin my retro bike herd and Xizang was one of those which got under the chopping block.

Selling that one was something that bugged me quite a bit. Then one of my local bike collector friends got himself a nice '95 Zaskar LE and it initiated my interest in GTs again. So I bought me a pristine condition '96 Zaskar LE set from here and planned on building that into a factory-spec bike. However, I had a feeling that the Zaskar is "just" a place holder for greater things. Then, last summer, I noticed a British guy mentioning on GT forum on Facebook that his Xizang is a tad too large for him so I contacted him and we settled up a deal on the frame... So I was again an owner of a Xizang (yay!), this time a 1996 model.

As she arrived:
IMG-3568.jpg

Class of 1996:
IMG-3571.jpg

So the Zaskar got to go and I started to ponder on possible builds for the titanium wonder...

Last edited:
As I had the full XTR M950 set that was meant for the Zaskar, it was an obvious choice. I also had three different forks available: a rigid GT Bologna Lite, a 1996 Judy SL and a 1997 Judy SL. My initial thought was to put in the '96 model but even though it is otherwise in a superb condition, its cartridge is shot (some idiot had changed a plastic '95 cartridge there and it doesn't have any oil inside). So at least for now, I've got a Bologna fork there.

I also got me Kore Elite stem, Azonic bar, San Marco/Bontrager saddle etc. like they had in the race team bikes. But got me also slim Control Tech stem + Easton carbon bar & post. So there are decisions needed...

Initial tryout with '97 Judy & Kore stem:
IMG-4190.jpg

Here with Bologna fork & CT stem:
IMG-4555.jpg

Here I have GT/Hadley wheelset as the XTR wheelset hasn't been built yet.

Last edited:
Re:

Looks amazing :cool:

In my opinion it’s got to be built with those Judy’s, just looks and sits right.

Going to be a mega build.

Re:

Thanks for the comments guys!
Definitely no SIDs, they're too new so it's Judy then. Just got SRP Speed Springs for the '96 model so I need to see what I can do to it. Just don't know how it'd work / sit with an empty cartridge. Irritatingly I have a newer aluminum cartridge but it doesn't fit the '96 model :(

What do you think of the rest of the setup:
- Kore Elite stem + Azonic O'Neal bar + yellow Onzas with XTR seatpost + San Marco Bontrager yellow 'Juli Furtado' seat
or
- Control Tech stem + Easton CT2 bar + black Onzas with Easton CT2 seatpost + Flite Alpes black

Besides Dart II / Smoke II combo pictured, I've got also green Michelin semislick tyres to go with the XTR wheels to have that race look of Team GT.

Re:

First option , and wildgrippers

If was building it that’s exactly how I would do it. Yellow and green looks great against the Ti.

This is my Lightning

Progress on Xizang...

I rebuilt a '96 Judy SL with a NOS cartridge & SRP SpeedSprings & new seals. I was positively surprised that stanchion tubes were flawless which is very seldom the case with old Judies. Even though the '97 SL has good looks with black & red decals to fit frame's decals, I still think that the '96 fits the best with the frame as both are of same vintage.
I also decided to emulate the Team GT setup with a Kore Elite stem and Azonic O'Neal handlebar.

Here with GT/Hadley wheelset, XTR M910 seatpost (was NOS) and Selle San Marco 'Juliana Furtado' seat.
xizang-gt-wheels.jpg

And here with XTR M950 wheelset that I got built with DT Revolutions and Mavic 217 Ceramic rims. And Michelin Wildgripper Sprint semislicks. :)
Also with onZa Ules grips and ProCut barends installed. However, I've since gotten yellow CWAs which will replace the ProCuts in the build.
xizang_xtr_wheels.jpg

As I'm not particularly fond with the looks of San Marco saddle, I've bought a half yellow-half black Flite that I need to test for the looks.

Last edited:
Back