GT Timeberline ... the start of something.

madjh

98+ BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
The advertisment photo looks great, some one applied a filter and looks nice but it isn´t.

I will change lot of parts:

-1st the wheels. This airline was not the original and has 7 speeds. I will change to something cheap but with a modern casette and in silver color (something from Rodi for example).
-2nd the fork. I will sell this betor combe model. It is oil -spring and works quite well but ... In person I don´t like how it looks. My Z2 in apple green will look better I think.
- Componentes ... needs new saddle, new handlebar, new transmission, new rear brake, new wires, tires inner tubes, new grips, new brake levers, new RD and shifter new casette (8-9 or 10) ....
- Some paint touches ... I have to find this colour. It is quite similar to the mazda dark red but I will check wich ral is.

The initial idea of this bicycle is a "work bicycle" and I don´t want to spent too much, it is a mid range bicycle and most of the parts I will fit is because I have, I don´t have a 8 speeed RD but I have a new deore 10 speed and a zee shifter.

After this I spect the bicycle will looks much better.

First mission: Clean the bicycle.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,271
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,271
Paul R":b0u4rlam said:
nice like the colour

Thank you :D

I have done the first task: A power wash. This is not enought but it is a start.

After that I have started to disassemble. I have bought the rear wheel, and the handlebar arrived. I have found some new brake levers, I have som SD7 with Ti bolds and KCNC but will not match this project.

The fork have been a surprise, it works fine and smooth. But ... I will sell it. But first I will fit the Z2 and see if it looks nice or not.

The rear V brakes are quite bad. The saddle and seat post ... awfull. The only replacement I have is a tune ... againg out of place. :roll: I will check if it fits and looks nice with the new saddle ... it has carbon rails despite it looks classic and it is not expensive at all.

I have some fresh tires, In the photo some cheng shin ... (maxxis is Cheng shin rubber co.)

Attachments

• 20200715_202228 (Medium).jpg
    20200715_202228 (Medium).jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 1,226
  • 20200715_202219 medium.jpg
    20200715_202219 medium.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 1,228
I have made some progress. I have a problem with the bottom bracket, so I went to a shop and fitted a new head set and BB.

I have clean more, now looks better but have lot of chips. I have to find the propper paint to repair them.

I have a new wheel set, drive train handle bar seat post etc The only thing I dont have is the brakes. I need some shimano V-brakes in silver. I will buy the new Deore.

So ... all will be new except the frame. A cheap project I had said :facepalm:

Attachments

• 20200723_120612 (Medium).jpg
    20200723_120612 (Medium).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,130
Umm, I need to find a left crank of a Shimano XT 737 ...

And new brakes, but this is easy, the problem is that I don´t want to spend more money ...

Attachments

• madjh 1.jpg
    madjh 1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,075
Waiting for the new brakes, I have find something cheap and nice from shimano.

Despite I have a SD7 tuned with TI bolts and KCNC, it doesn´t match the build, needs a better project, so Im going to sell in a full kit with SD brake levers.

And with this, it will be finished. ;)

51qhwS4CNxL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It is finish and feels like a new bike ... because near all is new :roll: Even the XT crank set is new except the left crank arm. Wheels, RD, handle bar, xt rear shifter, grips, seat post and seat, tires, chain, casette, brake set is full new ... A low cost built :LOL:

But feels quite good ... because it is brand new ;) . This is my last "low cost" built. All in All, this cost me less than the XX1 eagle RD and shifter of my other built that is is going too long and too expensive.

When it arrived it looks sad, works all but it was no happy. Now it is quite different. Geometry feels good, it is a few years younger than the BH-Grisley and it was improved.

Attachments

• 1 (Medium).jpg
    1 (Medium).jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 911
Back