GT Edge Aluminium 1998

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
Another day off, another bike brought out of the depths of the cave and back to life.

I think this was probably the second bike I bought when I started to hanker after a road bike sometime around 2003 I think. It’s one of those I would never sell. For reasons unknown I’ve not posted it here before - if I have I certainly can’t find where! I’m pretty sure it’s the bike that lead me to here through searching for more information about it. Arrived as a frame only with the DA bottom bracket I think. Then began the search that many of us will have done time and again for the right forks to go on the fork-less frame we’ve just bought. Initially it was built up with almost new full Dura Ace 7700 group, Ritchey Carbon cockpit and seat post, Fizik Saddle, Profile Design forks and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. It went like a rocket weighing just over 8kg. This kit all went on an Edge Titanium when I acquired one. Someone made me an offer I couldn’t refuse for the Edge Titanium as a whole bike (were moving house at the time). In the meantime the Alu had hung in the garage, fork-less again and unused. At some point another set of Profile Design forks in 1” flavour came up and so it started again, this time being built up with what was in the leftovers box rather than the no expense spared job I had done previously.
Other bikes followed and again this went to the back of the cave until this morning. Not much work required other than a quick clean, oil, true up of the rear wheel - don’t remember it being out but there you go!

39886D05-CC79-4F3E-9849-BE90D3F8072C.jpeg AEE848DD-0852-4D13-938D-8111A0BCD9C3.jpeg D44CA0CE-E7A9-4B75-ACDD-B93317AA95E1.jpeg 5DA9D69B-C41F-4FD1-B0B0-D373EA6C571D.jpeg 7DF3F99D-4852-4485-9DFB-24BAEEB0111E.jpeg 64C08E2D-5112-4FEC-B3E8-5A29068FD9CD.jpeg 9CA49DED-2E63-448E-9AE1-BA35687CBDF7.jpeg

Last edited:
Frame: GT Edge Aluminium Red anodised
Fork: Profile Design SC 1” Threaded
Headset: Shimano Deore XT 1” Threaded
Stem: ITM on quill stem adaptor
Handlebar: Pazazz
Brake Levers/Brifters: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 9sp
Brake Calipers: Shimano Dura Ace 7400
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7700
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura Ace 7700
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 7700 9sp
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace/XTR 9sp
Cranks: Shimano Dura Ace 7700
Chainrings: TA Spécialités
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura Ace 7700
Pedals: Campagnolo look compatible
Wheels: Mavic Aksium Race
Tyres: Michelin Pro Race 2 Service Course
Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: USE Carbon MTB

Lovely colour!

I have a GT Edge Aero in silver. Always felt it’s on that borderline where it’s not really retro so I’ve never posted about it on here. It’s really nicely fabricated. Mine was made by a company called Tiemeyer in Colorado and yours looks very similarly welded etc, so it could well have been made by the same company for GT. Yours looks like it’s significantly more comfortable to ride than mine, lol. I’d describe mine as uncompromising!

Lovely colour!
I have a GT Edge Aero in silver. Always felt it’s on that borderline where it’s not really retro so I’ve never posted about it on here. It’s really nicely fabricated. Mine was made by a company called Tiemeyer in Colorado and yours looks very similarly welded etc, so it could well have been made by the same company for GT. Yours looks like it’s significantly more comfortable to ride than mine, lol. I’d describe mine as uncompromising!
Thanks for your kind comments.

They are certainly nicely made. I’ve also got an Edge Aero in the green/purple flip paint. Definitely just about retro enough i think - get some photos up! For me the cut off with GT is when they were no longer made in the USA. My Aero is in full time trial gear so really not very comfortable - I’ve not ridden it for a long time though - I’m not exactly time trial weight at the moment…..

I did have a blue Vengeance for a while as well but it went as part of a cull a few years back. It was missing too many parts to be a viable build - the seat post cowl and the 650c GT forks didn’t come up for sale the whole time I owned it!

It was sold as a frame set or complete bike. If I recall right the complete bikes were Mavic Open SUP's.
Ah! Think it must have been the Edge Aero that had the CXP30/DA 7700 combo - I’ve got one with those wheels but I couldn’t remember if they were from my other Edge.

Anyway - it’s by far my favourite road bike to ride and I’ve got a few. I did have an Edge Ti but I prefer this one, if I remember correctly you’ve got one in every metal and colour ever produced!! I’m running Mavic Aksium at the moment which are cheapo, it ran best with Kysrium Elites, maybe not correct but were awesome.

Nice example. My first road bike during my road renaissance about 10 years ago was a polished GT Edge aluminum. It was a nice bike, but was much too small for me. I sold it and found 58cm Edge in steel - one of the early ones made with French steel and in the classic blue paint. I loved that bike, but sold it to a friend when I upgraded to a titanium bike for my 50th birthday.

I gained a lot of respect for the original GT company and the bikes they made that I didn't have for them in the 80's.

Nice example. My first road bike during my road renaissance about 10 years ago was a polished GT Edge aluminum. It was a nice bike, but was much too small for me. I sold it and found 58cm Edge in steel - one of the early ones made with French steel and in the classic blue paint. I loved that bike, but sold it to a friend when I upgraded to a titanium bike for my 50th birthday.

I gained a lot of respect for the original GT company and the bikes they made that I didn't have for them in the 80's.
I think it was around the time of my bike or just after that they stopped making many of them in the USA which was a bit of a watershed for GT. GTs were sold in my local bike shop so I lusted after even a Timberline compared to the Raleigh Marauder I had!

Back