GT Edge Aero 1998-2000-ish?

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
GT03.jpg

I think this just about scrapes into this section. I've had it for a few years but never posted about it because it's a bit too new for the rest of the forum.

I only got the bare frame and married it up with an early TCR fork. Initially I ran it with risers and 10-speed SRAM X7, which is cross-compatible with 10-speed Rival. The idea being I could run a big knee-friendly cassette and be free to interchange between risers for a bit of fun and drops for all the serious. Here's a shot fitting it up with Monkey Bars and Jag:

GT01.jpg

So it's 25mm tyres absolute max. Mike Burrows wheels and Corima 4-spoke depending on the mood. Vintage Pinarello carbon seatpost and Unicanitor saddle. Pink cables. Eventually it ended up all Rival, including the brakes, which made a HUGE difference to the stopping power.

GT02.jpg

Here it is in a disused wind tunnel:

GT04.jpg

Here it is in a disused aero facility, standing on the edge of the boundary layer air curtain, balanced on the edge of an Aero. LOL GEDDIT?

GT05.jpg

Anyway, it comes out from time to time. It's not the most comfortable bike to ride and it's a little small. I quite like the fact that it doesn't rust, though. Currently got the risers on it. Might ride it to work on Thursday since my current daily needs a bit of attention.

Last edited:
Love an Edge Aero! Probably my least ridden bike - not very comfy to ride far and I’m too porky for the Corima wheels at the moment! Think it’s late ‘90s one of the last lot of frames I think to be made in the US but I could be wrong! Here’s mine from a good few years ago, still got it out there in the garage.
30724185-6975-4BBA-9F8B-1082853711B6.jpeg

^ Nice!

I think someone said to me they were made by Tiemeyer in Colorado. I don’t know a lot about them to be honest.

Excellent stuff.

Whats the frame made of.

Looks like a harsh ride, if bikes looks can convey ride feel.

They are 6061 aluminium. I’ve only ridden mine with aero bars on so it’s hard to make a comparison as I find aero bars inherently uncomfortable. It felt quicker than my non aero GT Edge but I couldn’t ride it as far.

Back