Gearhooks – Bike storage solution

ClawHammer1

Dirt Disciple
I’ve been looking for a good bike storage solution for a few years now. I’ve tried a couple but nothing really works mainly because they all take up a lot of space or don’t hold the bike securely enough. I came across Gearhooks a few weeks ago and ordered their 5 wall mounted rack.

I was really surprised at how good the product, packaging and instructions are not only because they are reasonably priced but because in all my research, including various articles testing bike storage, these haven’t featured once.

I’m not affiliated with gearhooks in any way but they don’t seem to be very well known (only mentioned once on STW back in 2020) and the product is great and from a British company too.

It would be great if STW would do an article on them but not sure who to contact about this?

I went on to buy a second rack which I installed last week. On a 2 metre wide wall I have stored 6 bikes, a spare wheel, 2 full face helmets and a rucksack. Bikes/wheels vary in size from a road bike wheel to a 2.8 wide mtb and the hooks hold them all.

Please remove if this breaks any forum rules but website is http://www.gearhooks.com for anybody that wants to take a look.

Cheers, CH

They look alright. I'm always looking out for better solutions in my overcrowded shed. I'm assuming if you buy a rail, you can position the hooks wherever you want along it's length? Shame they don't seem to do custom lengths of rail, though it does look suspiciously like powdercoated unistrut

I’ve just used some cheap ones off eBay at £8 for 4. Does the same job but are fixed to the wall.

They look alright. I'm always looking out for better solutions in my overcrowded shed. I'm assuming if you buy a rail, you can position the hooks wherever you want along it's length? Shame they don't seem to do custom lengths of rail, though it does look suspiciously like powdercoated unistrut
Yeah, the hooks can be placed anywhere along the rail and there are different types of hooks for different things, not just bikes.

I'm sure you could cut a rail or buy more than one to meet your needs.

I agree, it does look like unistrut. I had a quick look at the cost of a piece of unistrut compared to a length from Gearhooks and don't feel like they're charging a fortune considering it has been powder coated and all parts from Gearhooks have a lifetime warranty.

I assume you won't have the option to move your hooks around as needs/bikes change?
They are spaced so any bike can fit. And it’s not like anyone ever goes down on bike count and I’ll add more hooks as more bikes arrive. 2 holes with the drill and another bike is added. Easy.

I made something like this out of CEF's knock off unistrut and made carriages using box section steel, roll pins and bearings with cheapo hooks.

I’ve been using large plastic covered screw in hooks that I got from my local hardware store. Two for £4, straight into my wooden roof beams.
Lately I thought of an idea to also lock up my bikes, my garage is pretty secure but you can’t be too careful.
C5A7E91A-663B-41B6-92E4-420A9036CC9F.jpeg
I bought some sheet steel approx 200x3mm at 1.5m long and screwed it into the wall. Then built a frame out of 20x20 box section and welded it onto the plate steel. I can lay ply on this to make a shelf.
But also:
09009E30-9041-462A-BD04-B21D3D19122B.jpeg
Now I can padlock bikes through the framework, even if a scally gets into the garage the bikes are chained up.
Just need a few more bike locks now..

I’ve been using large plastic covered screw in hooks that I got from my local hardware store. Two for £4, straight into my wooden roof beams.
Lately I thought of an idea to also lock up my bikes, my garage is pretty secure but you can’t be too careful.

I bought some sheet steel approx 200x3mm at 1.5m long and screwed it into the wall. Then built a frame out of 20x20 box section and welded it onto the plate steel. I can lay ply on this to make a shelf.
But also:

Now I can padlock bikes through the framework, even if a scally gets into the garage the bikes are chained up.
Just need a few more bike locks now..
Now that’s a really good idea for the locks. I could do with something like that myself. I used HipLock anchor and chain but that only locks two bikes up.

Back