Franken-Marin...finished

Not only have those wheels come up perfectly (they look amazing!) but I thoroughly approve of your choice of Smashing Pumpkins in the middle the soundtrack.

Don't get enough of an airing, or credit these days!

Been a week or so.....replacing the watermain round my house and doing various other "gardening" jobs, involving a digger distracted me rather. I love diggers!

Where did i get to?...

Well headsets now in.....thanks Mr Magpie......actually bought this ages ago, with no use for, just on the basis that i had most of the other parts of an xtr set....so on it goes.

As you may know, im tall, so my plan was to junk the forks in favour of a pair of salsa cromoto 425mm to get me the 30mm i kinda need as a minimum.......well, that didn't happen. The forks just looked wrong; wrong and heavy btw. Wrong, heavy and it also concerned me a little as to the ride quality over curved blades.....especially as the ride was one of my major considerations. So ive stuck with the lovely marin ones.

Only problem is the bikes front end is now too short for my old bones.!

To partly resolve this ive found a long enough, controltech stem with a good rise.... that helps. The stem just needed a new pair of decals, bit of touch up and a coat of new clearcoat......perfect.

Just some bars........you can all see where this is going can't you.....im sorry.

Test set karma'd to me and then a nice full length pair came my way via retrobikeguy.....who is a diamond. Bit of air brushing, polish out and a coat of clear and they are like new.

As i cant find a good seat post that fits at the moment (well one that pocket money allows) I also decided to re generate an old one, whilst i had the spray stuff out.

Like i said, im sorry for posting offensive content.....but i did warn you at the start.

Not very exciting i know, but all this fettling takes time.

BTW. Foo fighters, greatest hits.

Attachments

• 20210714_185043.jpg
    20210714_185043.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210603_140510.jpg
    20210603_140510.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Buses. Wheels are like buses.

Just when i thought i had got my wheel choice sorted......somebody offers me a set of my favourite mavic m261 on m732 hubs!

Then it turns out its a set i built from nos parts a few years back for his mate!

Quick drive, £50 and an hour cleaning and checking them over they are ready to go.

Plus, on route i poped into micks little shop in diss and found this lonely looking cassette, just asking for a home. Rude not to take it really....

Attachments

• 20210608_153833.jpg
    20210608_153833.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 7
The above has also kinda made me decide what to do about the xtr m900 hubs and brifters im sitting on, as karma clearly wants this to be 7 speed!

I didn't build the xtr wheels as i never found a good set of rims i wanted to use on them and the above wheelsets floated my way.....but....something may come along one day..

That also pretty much fixes my selection of shifters to my preferred weapon of choice suntour xc pro......just need to find some levers......:rolleyes:

So....its done.

The rain threatened play in the garden, so i spent the day in the hole.

XTR cantis cleaned up ok, with new bbb cantistop pads installed. Normal canti faffing....probably the only good thing about v brakes! Only issue was one needed the internal ferrule fettling a bit as it seemed to bind slightly....but ok now.

XC pro shifters and hopefully brake levers when a pair pop up at pre war prices.....for now its ritchey logic out of the stash along with matching grips.

Pedals came from the stash and the cages were cerakoted in the last batch to come back. New bearing and seals fitted.

Went together with no drama. Decided to go for dark grey cables, just as bit of relief from black (also had enough left over from my touring bike).

The old seatpost has sprayed up well (inappropriate stickers giving some relief) and im pleased with the finish on the parts given the state that some started in. Still want a "holey" 92 /3 marin qr.....if anybody has one? As youcan see the post is pretty much on the limit in the 19" frame (20.5" c to t)! Eeek.

Tyres....went for panaracer smokes, but honestly might put my old racing ralphs back on from my maxlight for general xc use round here.

Seats a direct swap too....oddly i find the SLR very comfortable even on longer rides, regardless of its lack of padding.

Thanks to everybody who sent me parts for the build.....just need to get out there and see how it goes.

And again I apologise for the riser bar content......but us storks need a higher perch!

Attachments

• 20210711_133437.jpg
    20210711_133437.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20210711_124951.jpg
    20210711_124951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20210711_124914.jpg
    20210711_124914.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210711_125206.jpg
    20210711_125206.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210711_124748.jpg
    20210711_124748.jpg
    877.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210711_124656.jpg
    20210711_124656.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
Well this looks like a blast to ride!

Come together very nicely. And quickly, too!

I have a black "Holey" Marin QR you're welcome to, if you'd like? A bit dingy, but should clean up OK.

Will just need it during the build for the 92 Team Issue (just for trying things in/on!) But don't plan to include it on the finished thing.

I cant fault that. Tasteful parts load out and the whole machine looks purposeful.
As per dr david banner, I can see the green (and deep purple) monster raging underneath!
As long as it all stays calm....

Back