Food of Champions...

Auld Bimbler

Retro Newbie
There are so many gels and snacky "Clif" type bars around these days that taking sustenance on a ride is a doddle.

The traditional banana aside (a beacon for Wasps in my experience) my go to scran in the Carradice seat bag was...

A flask of sugary tea and tin foil wrapped cheese and jam pieces. Also known as a "Miner's Piece" this was, and still is, the food of the Gods.

This might shock you (Mods please delete if the following is inappropriate) but, there are wierdos out there who defile this culinary excellence by placing two custard cream biscuits between the cheese and jam.

What's your go to grub when out with the wheels?

Ahhh, "Cheesey Beanos".

A mind boggling combo that became a Cooncil Hoose delicacy.

Before a ride out though?

I'd have slipped into a food coma by the time I'd burled my pedal toe clip the right way up!

nothing very heavy. And when lunching then soup with bread. But again not too heavy as the return journey will be unpleasant .

Auld Bimbler, my dad was a miner and when he worked underground in the years before he became part of management on Pitheid, his pit piece was cheese and homemade blackcurrant jam sandwiches wrapped in the waxed wrapper off a loaf of bread put in his piece box.
Blackcurrant jam on cheese is braw.

Used to take packet of el cheapo Sainsburys ginger snaps to munch on during a ride. Plate of porridge in morning before ride though.

Back