F. Moser Restoration

Mymumsaysimcool

Dirt Disciple
Hello all,

This bicycle was kindly donated to me by a good friend who knew i wanted to restore it. He's a retired postman and certified bike hoarder with a garage that's overflowing with two-wheeled treasure. He described the bike to me as being once "very fast", which is a characteristic that i'm eager to renew.

As far as i know it dates from somewhere between 1979 (has Super Prestige Pernod sticker) and 1981 (the decals are stencilled on and the headbadge is a portrait of Moser, not his name in lettering), however if anybody knows more specific/accurate information about the age and production then please do let me know. Size is 53cm but i'm unsure of the tubing; i've seen others with very similar features that are made of Columbus SL, so maybe that? It features Campagnolo drop-outs, 'Moser' stamped lugs/fork crown and it has cool-as-flip diamond profile chainstays. Components include early Super Record derailleurs (Pat.81), Gran Sport, Simplex down-tube shifters, flint-catchers, Hinault Turbo saddle and Moser pantographed brake levers.

The condition of the bike overall is not too bad, but the frame is pretty battered and will need a respray; a section of the seat-tube is bare metal. The forks are pitted but should clean up well, the components will clean up nicely for sure. My current plan is to strip the frame of all parts and have it repainted early next year, with candidates for colour so far a bright/light lime green and a pale dusty pink; i feel these colours suit the period and that the silver and black components would sit well with them. I'm not pursuing a historically accurate restoration, but rather a historically sympathetic reinterpretation... ?!

This thread serves as a record of this restoration, and it's a fairly long-term project with next summer being the deadline. Nothing is set in stone please feel free to contribute suggestions.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 350
The simplex levers (slj5057) are early 80s they were a popular upgrade even over campag shifters.
The spring in the levers can go i have a pair (somewhere) with a broken spring in the R/H shifter

Re:

Very similar to the pair I got at the end of 1979, with full titanium group set, Everest alloy freewheel etc. I always thought the diamond section chainstays indicated De Rosa as builder. Mosers team at the time was Sansom, if memory is correct.
Tubing I had was Columbus SL. Mine were equipped with Mavic Blue SSC rims and Clement 8 ounce tubulars, and built with handlebar gear controls.
Found it...........
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=94750&start=40

Keith

Back