CANCELLED. ride 17th July 2021 "3 Edges"

Myshrall189

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

A new route for Retrobike in the peaks.
This is a figure of 8 route with a total of 28 miles and 2800ft. Very retrobike friendly though.

We will pass the cars half way if anyone only wants a shortened version.
Full route is probably 4/5 effort and 2.5/5 technically. The toughest climb is on tarmac, the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth...... toughest are all off road.
Plenty of bail out opportunities if man or machine are in trouble.
expect 5-6 hours total with a pub stop at 15 miles.

This takes in three of the peak district gritstone edges with great views across Hope valley and generally stays at a higher elevation across the Eastern moors. Lots of famous gritstone outcrops and rock formations to see. The red grouse should also be out and about at this time.

Meet at Fox house pub, (S11 7TJ) either on the road/layby or in the far end of the pub car park. Peaks is likely to be busy so lets say 09.00am meet for 09.30am start.

Interested to know the route, ride around there a lot, some good routes taking in the edges :cool:

I do a very similair ride often but taking in the rowdy rocky bits that isn’t technically a bridleway. It’s a good area to ride.

The top path along the left side of burbage is good.

Fox house, topley moor, Big moor, curbar edge, froggat edge, fox house, lady plannings, redmires reservoir, stanage edge, burbage moor.

if you send me your email i have a GPX file.

Good route and like you say, ideal if you only feel up to half of it, the first loop is mostly downhill and photos of the great views on some of my Today's Ride posts.

And do you mean the uphill road section from the end of Froggat edge? as you can cut that out off road back to near the Fox House.

I do a very similair ride often but taking in the rowdy rocky bits that isn’t technically a bridleway. It’s a good area to ride.

The top path along the left side of burbage is good.
Do you still tell everyone how unnecessary their gears are?

I would normally do a bit further and more rocky routes. But this is a bit less technical for the Retrobike’s while keeping all the hills and as least tarmac as possible. Also all is bridleways to avoid annoying the locals as a group.

Cant decide on a bike yet - 30spd too much? Could drop that to a 21spd but then I'd have ratio anxiety

Two people from the Flatlands most definitely coming btw

Back