Early Marzocchi fork identification

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is probably one for @kraeMit but I'm sure somebody else may know the answer too.

I have this fork which I believe to be a Marzocchi Star fork from around 1989-1991.
It works too, as well as an early nineties fork can be expected to.

DSCN9753.JPG

DSCN9754.JPG

DSCN9755.JPG

I think I can rule out it being a PF1 or a TT10 based on the manuals on KraeMit's excellent Dr Marzocchi site.

The main reason for me wanting to ID it is because I need a fork just like the one in the 1991 Saracen Catalogue for a Trekker Competition Hydrotech build.
I realise the brace is different as it's designed for Magura brakes, so unless I can get hold of one, I may need to look at fabricating something.
The crown and lowers all match up though albeit without the Saracen decals.
A useful note is the the crown can accommodate 1 inch, 1.1/8th inch and 1.1/4inch steerer tubes which will be essential for the Trekker.

Here are some images from the 1991 Saracen catalogue/poster and spec details for the fork options on the Trekker Comp Hydro and the Conquest Comp Hydro.

marzocchi_91saracen_01.jpg

marzocchi_91saracen_02.jpg

marzocchi_91saracen_03.jpg
Answers on a postcard please.

What you're after is the original StarFork, but by this time that might just be a photo image?
Not sure of StarFork actual year but Mombat say introduced in 1991.

The starfork had a similar brace to the RS-1 probably for good reason sit was copied from it when it was shown to them.

Some old talk

Bit of background, but I wouldn't belive the dates that XC51 was later by a few years. https://m.pinkbike.com/news/marzocchi-forks-through-the-years-2013.html

Although, hopefully the good Dr. M. will be along to correct that

Last edited:
Interesting! :) I was not aware of this.

I checked my pictures and created a quick gallery about StarFork, just have a look at https://dr-marzocchi.projectweb.de/starfork/
As you can see there are both forms of the brace existent, I don't know why.

And yes, I think PF1, TT10 or MX100 do not match - look at the braces.

I'd like to have this baby on the road again, if you take the shipping I will send you a seal kit for free, if you send me a picture from the bike including the serviced fork. ;-)

Last edited:
I assume the brace was a later improvement, maybe via Scott feedback? to make it look different...
But unless anyone knows if early 90 model had the older brace, ie a box date, it's just guess work from me. It seems, from you pictures, by the end of 1990 they had switched over.

All interesting stuff.

Interesting! :) I was not aware of this.

I checked my pictures and created a quick gallery about StarFork, just have a look at https://dr-marzocchi.projectweb.de/starfork/
As you can see there are both forms of the brace existent, I don't know why.

And yes, I think PF1, TT10 or MX100 do not match - look at the braces.

I'd like to have this baby on the road again, if you take the shipping I will send you a seal kit for free, if you send me a picture from the bike including the serviced fork. ;-)
Great information thank you.
I do intend to get this back in action and installed on my Saracen Trekker Competition Hydrotech.

I need a 1.1/4 inch threaded steerer. Is this something you can help with?

That's a very generous offer but I'd be more than happy to pay for the seal kit.
I'm not even sure it needs one as it seems to be holding air and oil okay.
Probably worth servicing it anyhow.

I'll be in touch. :)

Having rechecked, and for the purpose of anyone researching Saracen head tube dimensions twenty years from now as part of a university thesis, the headtube on the 1991 Saracen Trekker Competition Hydrotech is in fact designed for a 1.1/8th inch with a 122mm headtube on the 19 inch frame.

I got confused by the fact that the 1991 Saracen Trekker Hydrotech (non e-stay) does have a 1.1/4 inch headset/steerer/headtube.

just adding some more material from a brochure and the box
Marzocchi starfork brochure1.jpg
Marzocchi starfork brochure2.jpg

marzocchi Star Fork box.jpg

I had one a while ago, with silver lowers but also the variant with the more ugly brake arch.
It had 1 1/4 steerer, and especially all upper parts like arch, crown and steerer had been really massive.

Back